Quicksilver control on mariner 40 hp magnum

thatone123

Banned
Switched out old controls for newer used one and the engine still will not fire without a spray of gas and oil. Wants to run, but something holding it back. Notice that the high idle lever on the control seems to move the gear shift mechanism under the bottom carb going down the exhaust housing to the gear box and not anything on the control arm. Switched cables around but the same happens?

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
OK, First let's deal with controls cables. Look at the motor, cowling off, with controls in neutral, and high idle lever down. As you push throttle handle forward, shift cable (bottom) will move first. After shift cable has moved toward motor and stopped, throttle cable should begin to start moving.

If a spray of fuel into carbs is required to start motor, usually either your choke or enrichener is not functioning properly, or the engine is not cranking fast enough to start well.

If you have choke plates, they must close when choke button is pushed. If you have an enrichener, it should dump fuel into a carb when choke button is pushed.

Finally, clean all battery cables and starter connections and make sure battery is good and fully charged. Motor generally needs to spin at 300RPM or so to choke well and start.

The Force power

Commander
Switched out old controls for newer used one and the engine still will not fire without a spray of gas and oil. Wants to run, but something holding it back. Notice that the high idle lever on the control seems to move the gear shift mechanism under the bottom carb going down the exhaust housing to the gear box and not anything on the control arm. Switched cables around but the same happens?

here's a link that will trouble shoot your controls;

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B1T...BhYy00MjlmLTg5NzktMjQyZDJhMGQ3YzQ1/edit?pli=1

thatone123

Banned
OK, Chris, thanks for the reply!!! Battery is good and I cleaned all connections to starter and battery. I hear the fuel enricher click now, but maybe something is still wrong with it. Quite a bit of fuel leaks out of the bottom carb I think, but it could be the top carb. This is when I pump on the bulb a lot. It's kind of chilly here 40's which maybe does not help.

Yegboats

Chief Petty Officer
If you're using an adapter harness and your newer control box is a 14 pin. This could be your problem.

Attachments

• 2008-05.PDF
    482.1 KB · Views: 1