Power steering issues

4WinnsDave

Cadet
I finally repaired (I hope) and replaced my power steering actuator ('87 Mercruiser 165 series engine), got the lines re-connected, filled the reservoir w/ new fluid. Now the problem is that when the engine starts, the wheel turns by itself all the way to starboard. While looking for tips on how to replace the actuator, I came across a post that told how to avoid / fix this issue, but I can't remember anything else about it to help me find it again. Also, while engine was running I heard an intermitent clicking noise, couldn't tell where it was coming from. Then, all of a sudden I saw a bunch of PS fluid at the front of the engine, couldn't see exactly where it came from. Can anyone help me?

alldodge

Staff member
Might have blown a line from the pump.

The steering actuator needs to be setup as seen below. The slots in the ram must the vertical (figure d) when the cable is installed

Steering Ram.jpg

4WinnsDave

Cadet
Thanks. How about the steering wheel turning by itself, anyone know how to correct that?

alldodge

Staff member
Thanks. How about the steering wheel turning by itself, anyone know how to correct that?

That is what my response was about. If its not straight up and down this can happen.

Are you saying, it is up/down and still does it?

4WinnsDave

Cadet
Oh! okay, I thought you meant that the cable wouldn't go into the tube unless the slots are vertical. I'll check on that & let you know.

4WinnsDave

Cadet
I just checked the photos I took before I started & I can't see any slots, but I'll look closer.

4WinnsDave

Cadet
I looked closer, my actuator does not have slots or flat spots, I think that the control valve needs to be centered. But first, I have to get over my power steering pump hurdle. I took the power steering pump out and in the process discovered a hole in the high pressure hose. Since I could not find anyone locally to make me a new one, I ended up buying the hose online. While waiting for the hose, I bought a pump rebuild kit at O'Reilly Auto (my pump is the same as an late 80's GM truck) and began disassembly & cleaning & painting. Yesterday as I was trying to put it back together, I was lacking in patience and ended up chiping a piece off from the cap that holds the rotor & vanes in place. So now, about $70 later, I have a remanufatured pump. What a pain this has been!!Now I'm waiting for some warm weather and spare time to coincide so I can get all the parts back in the boat and center the valve and.... Anyone wanna' buy a boat?

alldodge

Staff member
The power steering pump is the same as the auto one except the pressure valve is different. The valve looks the same but the pressures are different. Just use the valve from the old one on the new, your good

The PS ram should have slots, there is one 2 flats for a wrench to go on. Since it doesn't, loosen the nut that holds the cable in place. Once loose, grab the tube and see if it can be rotated

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
the PRV that Mercruiser and Volvo use is the same one used in GM trucks, so 4WinnsDave If you have a pump for a GM truck, you are golden