Helm clicking loud when turned off center?

Tycer

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Checked advanced search first. No love there.

The '78 Aristocraft Mercruiser 140 has a lot of play in the steering (15*?) and there is a loud clicking at the helm (under dash right of helm).

How do I diagnose? I do not know how the steering system works.

ps The steering is much harder to steer trim up 35-40 mph than trim in 30mph

Tycer

Petty Officer 2nd Class
[No message]

Attachments

• photo321064.jpg
    photo321064.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 1

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
you most likely have 3 issues

issue #1 - the helm and cable can be worn out.
issue #2 - the linkage at the sterndrive can be worn out
issue #3 - the tiller-arm pin connection at the sterndrive can be worn out

step 1, go back by the steering tiller and secure it, then find out how much play you have in the outdrive gimbal
step 2, figure out hos much play you have from the end of the cable to the tiller
step 3, pull the helm apart and inspect.

most likely you will be replacing the rack and cable, and maybe the helm. then you may be working on the MC steering pin.

Tycer

Petty Officer 2nd Class

step 1, go back by the steering tiller and secure it, then find out how much play you have in the outdrive gimbal
step 2, figure out hos much play you have from the end of the cable to the tiller

most likely you will be replacing the rack and cable, and maybe the helm. then you may be working on the MC steering pin.

Perfect. Thanks 😃

Tycer

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Locked down the tiller and attempted to move the outdrive. All I noticed wat the joints were dry. Hit the zerks with some Lucas Marine and nothing. Very tight.
Disconnected the cable from the gear set and there’s about 0.030” of movement at the helm end of the cable. Made a clamp set out of c-clamps and bar steel to measure. Really thought it would be measured in tenths.
Scott Turner from Aristocraft sent me a replacement cable and rack. Used. The one he sent had flats on all the gear teeth on both the helm shaft and the flat gear bar. Mine was worn to nearly points. I found several metal slivers the same length as the width of the gear bar inside the housing.
Steering is remarkable. Very smooth and easy at cruising (22-30 mph) speed. Gets tighter above 30.

Thanks for the troubleshooting list. That was perfect!