Mercury Gen 1 DTS Axius trouble...

Colorado04

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I've got a Gen1 DTS and Axius setup on my boat. The joystick system has been acting up over the past several outings progressively getting worse. Last weekend, it was vituraly unusable. It would respond to port inputs but not to starboard.The starboard engine would rev but the drive would not engage, then suddenly with a very loud thud, engage the drive. The boat would lurch and I backed off to regain control. This is all low speed in my marina trying to get into my slip. I abandoned the joystick and went to the binnacle. I could get the boat to pivot to port but not starboard.

Anybody have and starting points for diagnosis?

How do I "reboot" the system. Hoping that may help.

Thanks.

Colorado04

Petty Officer 2nd Class
2 @ Merc 377 Mags with Bravo 3 Drives.

I have since done some basic testing and have ruled out the DTS and Axius systems. They seem to operate fine with the exception of the drive selection actuator being a little sluggish bringing the starboard drive out of forward gear.

I have narrowed down the primary issue to the starboard drive not engaging properly into reverse. All the controls move and report back to the display correctly. Just no actual engagement of the starboard drive into reverse. I have disconnected the shift cable on the starboard drive, put the binnacle in reverse, computer shows reverse, actuator moves to reverse. by hand, put the drive in revers by moving the cable end. No engagement. Only sympathetic spinning of the props. I shift the drive in and out of reverse manually and still no engagement. I believe its an mechanical issue in the drive. It has been progressively getting worse to the point it doesn't engage in reverse now. Forward is fine though.

Anyone have an exploded view of the drive that shows the reverse gear.

The port side is fine.

TIA

Donnie.

Colorado04

Petty Officer 2nd Class
ALLDodge...

How do you get rid of the glazing? Disassemble the upper end?

Thanks for the info.

Donnie.

alldodge

Staff member
Some have removed the clutch, then used valve lapping compound. It has worked for some from what I have read, but never tried it my self. Also have never had the issue, but thinking I might just replace the parts