"chirping" noise coming from outdrive when in gear

JBtwist

Seaman
I have a 1986 Fabuglas OMC 3.8L Stringer 800 V6 and early this season, when I put the outdrive in gear and turned to either side of the steering range, I'd hear a "chirping" noise. It didn't happen in the middle of the steering range, but the last time I took it out, I began hearing that same noise throughout the steering range.

Any guidance on where I should start to diagnose the problem?

alldodge

Staff member
Not that great with a Stringer, but do believe they are the ones with the ball gears, and if so that would be my first thought. A Scott Danforth might have a better idea

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
ball gear would be first place to look
power steering pump belt the second place

when was the pivot last greased?

kenny nunez any other places?

JBtwist

Seaman
I've read a ton on the Ball gear - looks like it's probably a stretch for my skillsets / tools.

I'm pretty confident I don't have power steering.

I don't know what you mean by "pivot" - but I the only lubrication I've done is on the tilt drive gear.

This is our second season owning the boat.

JBtwist

Seaman

Attachments

• photo317109.jpg
    photo317109.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 1
  • photo317110.jpg
    photo317110.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 1
  • photo317111.jpg
    photo317111.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 1

JBtwist

Seaman
Also, kind of last minute tonight - I might have opportunity to get a 1985 Four Winns Horizon 190 - would that be an easier boat to work on?

My goal was to get a first boat pretty cheap and do my own work on it so I could understand how boats work and if I break something...the risk is low at least. However, the more I've learned about these Stringer 800's is that they are difficult to find parts for and difficult to work on.

Should I move to a Mercruiser engine and outdrive?

Scott Danforth

Staff member
I'm pretty confident I don't have power steering.

you sure about that...

right under the alternator in the pic you posted is your power steering pump. the saginaw "can-o-ham" pump used by every boat motor manufacturer on every engine except the 4-bangers since the 60's.

fetch

check the fluid
check the belt

alldodge

Staff member
If you can I would steer clear of the stringer, and the exhaust manifolds are also trouble

1985 Four Winns Horizon 190

Depends on what motor and drive is in it, and look real close at the hull

JBtwist

Seaman
you sure about that...

right under the alternator in the pic you posted is your power steering pump. the saginaw "can-o-ham" pump used by every boat motor manufacturer on every engine except the 4-bangers since the 60's.

[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"https:\/\/forums.iboats.com\/filedata\/fetch?photoid=10773552"**[/IMG2]

check the fluid
check the belt

Yes, you are right. Sorry, I was thinking power steering cooler. I think I know the sound you are referring to - I don't think it's the pump, but I'll check the fluid and belt tightness.

Thank you for the help! I'll follow up with the results.

JBtwist

Seaman
If you can I would steer clear of the stringer, and the exhaust manifolds are also trouble

Depends on what motor and drive is in it, and look real close at the hull

When you say "steer clear of the stringer" - are you talking about the OMC? Don't all boats have "stringers" - is my boat a stringer model? Sorry - I'm new to all this.

Also, what do you mean by "exhaust manifolds are trouble" - are those the silver the things in this pic?

Regarding the Four Winns - by "look close at the hull" - are you talking externally? Am I looking for wear and holes, rot?

Attachments

• photo317123.png
    photo317123.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 0

alldodge

Staff member
Not hull stringers, I'm saying a stringer drive (the ones with ball gears) like yours

The exhaust manifolds you have might be the bat wing type, and if that is true they need to be replaced. Many engines have hydrolocked from them. But then again the pic is not exactly like the batwing (yours is a 3.8), but just close

Click image for larger version  Name:	Batwing exhaust.jpg Views:	1 Size:	76.6 KB ID:	10773718

kenny nunez

Captain
The chirp you are hearing is the belts, from the picture I can see that the belts are being chewed up by the rusted pulleys and the power steering belt gets loose.
Look at all the belt dust on the front of the engine. I bet that the flame arrestor is almost clogged up from all the belt dust.
The only cure is to replace all the pulleys, or keep a couple sets of belts on board.
When the “stringer mount” style of engine is used means that the forward thrust of propulsion is directly exerted on the stringers which is how all pre 1986 OMC set ups were.
You have to have someone who is more familiar with boat hulls and knows where to look for hidden bad spots in the transom and engine mount areas of the stringers. It is easy to see problems on the outside of the hull and I am sure that you can handle that.

Scott Danforth

Staff member
you can also pull the pulleys, bead blast them, then epoxy paint them

or you can wire-brush them and rattle can them every other year.

JBtwist

Seaman
you can also pull the pulleys, bead blast them, then epoxy paint them

or you can wire-brush them and rattle can them every other year.

Wow. Thank you!

That's really helpful information! I didn't know where all that black dust was coming from.

To remove the pulleys and sandblast or wire brush them, any special instructions there? Anything I can do to mess up the timing of things?

kenny nunez

Captain
If you look closely on the pulleys there is a GM part# in case any of them are completely rusted through. The PS pulley will need a special puller that you will have to borrow/ rent. The pulley can be reinstalled using a 3/8” 16 stud with nuts and washers.

Scott Danforth

Staff member
every wrench hobbyist or professional should have a PS pulley tool kit. they are $10

however for surface rust, chuck up a 3" wire brush in the cordless drill, put on leather gloves and eye wear and clean them up in place if they are not rusted thru.