Evinrude to Johnson controls

BoPaesch

Cadet
Hey guys, need advice on swapping out a 88 special to an Evinrude to a 125 Johnson. Both outboard. Both V4. What is different? What modifications will have to occur? They both are T&T. Will my harness, cables, and controls mate up to the Johnson? I do have slack in my cables presently. I haven’t purchased the 125 yet. So I don’t know the model number. I do know it’s a 1987. Mine is a 1995.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
?----There is no 125 HP model in the list for 1987 ------If the 125 has a big red plug on the motor it will fit the 1995 motor if it has a big red plug on the control box wiring.

BoPaesch

Cadet
I do have the big red plug going into the motor and he does have the big red plug in his motor. I’m waiting on the model number to double check things. Right now I’m only going off of what he told me. Now that I have a good feeling about the electrical mating up, what about the cables? ie... throttle, return/reverse, and steering.

matt167

Captain
Evinrude/ Johnson are the same company OMC. This is like Chevrolet and GMC trucks. Same thing different paint and decals... The controls in those year ranges are only branded OMC. Steering and throttle should swap right to the new motor since they are both V4

1996 was the year they changed the plugs on the electrical and you would need to use an adapter harness for a 1996 or newer.