1972 mercruiser 120 shifting problem

jwestjr

Seaman
Shifting is stiff on my 1972 starchief with 120/140 mercruiser. I took it out the other day and the control cable pulled out of the anchor point end piece. My thought is to change the control cable. I don't see any markings on the shifter and am not sure how to change the cable. It looks like I will have to remove the side panel (gun whale) to access it.I will try to uploade a photo of it.

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
Most shift controls are set up the same as all others. You will more than likely have to remove the side panel to access the connection points. Take pics as you disassemble for reference when putting it back together. The cable itself * should* have the numbers stamped on it on one end or the other. Good luck!

jwestjr

Seaman
Thanks Grub54891,
I'm figuring it out little by little. Got the out trim plate off and saw "MARMAC" stamped in it. I did take and will continue to take pics. Working midnights now so I'm moving slow.
Willing to buy ner control and cables if I can figutr out what is compatible.

matt167

Captain
yup. I know that control and the boat. My dad had a '73 Chief 21'. Never ever did shift right but it was a cool old boat. I remember my dad taking the shifter apart many times. Through the gunwale

kenny nunez

Captain
The Marmac uses 33 series cables which are easy to obtain. You probably have figured out how to unscrew the bezel nut to remove the control. One problem these are known for is the neutral safety feature, Sometimes the tab that presses on the neutral switch needs to be bent slightly to give it more stroke. Be sure to not over tighten the set screw on the handle otherwise the control will bind up. Also another thing can happen is the screws that mount the bezel flange start to work loose then the whole control starts to move around. This is usually caused by binding cables. Go the extra $ and use the “Supreme” series of control cables in place of the standard series.

jwestjr

Seaman
Thanks Kenny Nunez,
Yes I was surprised to find the mounting screws about finger loose. I haven't pulled it out yet due to shift work and the heat but hope to get to it soon. I'll check that tab also because the neutral safety switch doesn't work. I have spent a lot of money for rebuilt engine, carb, alternator, starter, fuel tank, outdrive and foot. Now I need to be able to control everything and I'll take your advise on the "Supreme" series cable.