1999 Sea Ray - Mercruiser 3.0 Liter - power steering noise

MN Laker

Recruit
Mercruiser Alpha Drive, Second Gen, 3.0 Liter, Serial 0L322185

While driving straight, at 2500 RPM's my engine makes a loud shrill sound. Upon inspection I found that I was missing a 3/8" bolt that holds the power steering adjuster to the bracket. I put tension on the belt, then installed a 3/8" screw with lock washer, and again at 2500 RPM's the sound occurs. I suspect the belt became over-stretched when the screw was lost.
Have I diagnosed the issue correctly? I have ordered replacement V-belt part 365607-Q.

Thanks in advance for any wisdom you can offer, and I apologize if I did not follow posting protocol.... this is my first post.

Thanks,
Matt

Attachments

• photo316459.jpg
    photo316459.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0

MN Laker

Recruit
AllDodge, thanks for your reply. If I'm only changing the power steering belt, should I put a jack under the engine? Also, do i need to remove the 4 bolts on the manifold in the attached image, circled in blue, and remove it to be able to slide in the new belt in? Or would there be enough room without disassembling?

Attachments

• photo316472.jpg
    photo316472.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 0

alldodge

Staff member
Yes, do support the motor with something, and remove just the 2 bolts on the right. There is no need to remove the pulley bolts. What some have done is also replaced the other, but its up to you.

Also it is best when ever the motor mounts are touched, to check drive alignment. You can replace belt and not do it, but things can change and an engine coupler is a lot harder to replace then checking alignment