1988 Volvo Penta 290 Single-Prop

TheBoatKid

Recruit
Hello,

I have a V.P 290 1988' model as my newest vessel and I'm more familiar with OMC, So searching for the hardened V.P vets out there...

Upon launching today, my shifter wouldn't find F or R. This happened when I first launched the boat, but it turned out to be the 20 y.o masking tape that held up the neutral safety button had lost its stick.
Today when I trailered it again I completed the following diagnostics:

-Used a slot screwdriver to move the neutral-safety button up and down ensuring it was allowing the lever to go passed it.

-Pulled the cap off of my sterndrive where you can see the oil pump and linkage for the shifter; I disconnected the linkage to the shifter, and went back to the helm to actuate the shifter and see if that changed anything. It now was moving 1-1.5 in forward and back instead of 1/8 in. forward and back.
So essentially disconnecting the linkage to the rear, made the shifter feel different, but not any better.

I feel like it has to be some sort of failure in my actual shifter/neutral safety switch. Something there mechanical isn't talking to a piece to allow it to move into gear, and for an 88' its a pretty smooth shift.

Any tips of how to troubleshoot more, or maybe disconnect that neutral safety button all together?

Thank you,
The Boat Kid

Attachments

• photo316039.jpg
    photo316039.jpg
    487.3 KB · Views: 0

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
step 1 get a factory manual

step 2, the helm control and the shift mechanism in the drive are connected with a cable. your focusing in on two locations

first and foremost, get the drive end of the cable up to snuff

then focus on the controls and any button on the controls

failure to have the drive properly adjusted and you will toast your upper transmission and those are really really really pricey.