Steering or Gimbal?

2009 Harris Flotebote Tritoon 25'
mercruiser 350 MAG
Bravo III w/dual props
180 hours
hydraulic sea star steering with power steering assist.
4600lb boat

I'm able out of the water to move the outdrive by hand about 3 to 4 inches port and starboard.... steering wheel does not move. One time as I was pulling outdrive towards starboard... it moved the 4 inches and felt like it gave away and pulled another inch or so to me.

As far as the steering during operation and load... it feels great... smooth when cutting the steering either way. Boat will drive straight when I let go of steering wheel. I dont really hear the growling or marbles sound of a gimbal bearing. When I cut it really sharp... I might hear something... but more just seems like it's under a load... not a growling or whomp, whomp, whomp.

When I had my wife move the outdrive by hand... I noticed the sea star hydraulic steering was moving. The piston down where the power steering lines goes in had play in it... and the top piston where the arm goes into transom had play in it. Both assemblies were twisting some. Again this is when she was moving the outdrive the 4" back and forth... steering wheel was not moving.

Any immediate concerns? Is this probably a steering problem or gimbal?

SSCana

Cadet
Eagerly awaiting something in this thread. You just described my issue with a 2006 Volvo Penta SX outdrive. From what I've been reading it's the teleflex cable, the helm seems to be responding, the power steering ram seems fine as well.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
OK, to summarize: Your steering works good on the water, but the outdrive moves without the steering wheel moving, on land.. It sounds like your hydraulic steering system needs to be bled.