Volvo Steering Actuator (3812269) Large Wiper Seals

pllpjc

Recruit
I have read all the posts regarding ordering kits to fix this actuator from doing it yourself to bringing it to a hydraulic shop. I have removed the part and disassembled to where the seals are leaking and while these two seals are by far the easiest ones (seemingly) to replace in this grossly expensive part, I cannot locate any post of anyone that has either sourced these or replaced them. Thought I would try once more before I pony up the $700 for a new one. It pains me to throw this in the trash when these seals are likely pretty cheap. (I also don't want to pull it in and out of the boat 4 more times) :)

Any help greatly appreciated. I attached a photo with one of the seals pulled out. Thanks !!!!

Attachments

• photo313142.jpg
    photo313142.jpg
    539.4 KB · Views: 0

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,..... Welcome Aboard,..... I donno how much help this might be,..... But,.....

The steerin' actuator is considered a Non-serviceable unit,.....
With that said, My "Go-to" parts source for hyd. seals, 'n such is Baum Hydraulics ,....

If there are seals for it, They probably have 'em,......

StingrayMike

Petty Officer 1st Class
When I had to replace mine, I found a guy on ebay that was selling the complete o-ring kit. It seems he makes up the kits himself and sells them.

it been a few years, but just do a search on there, he should pop up.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Look up hercules seals in clearwater florida. Go thru their on-line catalog for seals. The hav dimensions in the catalog

pllpjc

Recruit
Thank you very much to all of you. I have reached out to both companies. The Ebay guy only sells the seals for the smaller shaft on the actuator, but thanks for the suggestion.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
you are going to have to measure the seal groove and the diameter of the actuator rod, then you are going to have to go thru the catalog yourself.

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,..... What Scott says,.^..^..^ You've gotta mic 'em up, 'n then look 'em up,.....

Petefett

Cadet
On this topic, I will be replacing my Teleflex steering cable assembly and seals on actuator also and wondering what’s the trick for removing the steering cable from actuator? Rotating the nut rotates the entire upper assembly of the actuator and no where is another nut or area to hold it still to break the steering cable nut free? Gotta be a trick or somewhere I’m missing to get it removed. Don’t want to go locking down on something I should not be as a newbie and cause damage.

2002 Larson 180
Thx.

Petefett

Cadet
On this topic, I will be replacing my Teleflex steering cable assembly and seals on actuator also and wondering what’s the trick for removing the steering cable from actuator? Rotating the nut rotates the entire upper assembly of the actuator and no where is another nut or area to hold it still to break the steering cable nut free? Gotta be a trick or somewhere I’m missing to get it removed. Don’t want to go locking down on something I should not be as a newbie and cause damage.

2002 Larson 180
Thx.

Bondo

Staff member

2002 Larson 180
Thx.

Ayuh,...... Welcome Aboard,..... Depends on the actuator,..... Look for wrench flats on the aluminum tube,.....