Teleflex steering cable replacement?

nola mike

Vice Admiral
Need to replace the cable on my '04 25 hp Merc. Saw a faint teleflex marking on the cable, so looks like I need a teleflex rotary replacement. Couple of questions.
1. There appears to be a quick connect and threaded fitting. Not sure which I have. It isn't obvious to me how to remove this thing.
2. This is a side console boat. I'd like to measure the cable using a piece of string. Where on the outboard do I use as a starting point?
3. Is this what I need?
https://www.iboats.com/shop/catalog...ns-safe-t-quick-connect-cable/category/13161/

nola mike

Vice Admiral
Ok, well that was embarrassingly easy. Insert screwdriver into hole, pull cable, turn wheel. So the cable was pretty gunked up and stiff. I just cleaned the old grease off and relubed. Made a huge difference. The helm was also stiff. I sprayed some brake cleaner in it, shook and dumped and then sprayed in some lithium grease. Made a big difference but there's room for improvement. There's a strongly worded discouragement against disassembly on the back, but is it possible? Otherwise might soak it in solvent and shoot more grease into it.

nola mike

Vice Admiral
Has nobody tried rehabbing one of these helm units? Seems like it should be an easy thing to do, but google is strangely silent on the topic. Right now I think that if I put it back on the steering would be vastly improved, and probably OK. I don't want to break it by taking it apart incorrectly...

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,..... Cables, 'n helms are considered Non-serviceable parts,......

If I've gotta take 1 apart, I buy a new "Kit", helm, 'n cable,.....

nola mike

Vice Admiral
Yeah, I know the advice. However I don't think any of the components are worn. And I can't believe that nobody has tried the helm despite that. There's lots on the web about re-greasing the cable, that seems a lot less likely to work.The cable is now pretty smooth just by cleaning/greasing the exposed part. The helm is also MUCH smoother with what I've done. I don't see the harm of at least dunking the helm to loosen the old crud and spraying some grease in it. Before I needed vice grips and a heavy hand to move the cable and helm--now both move by hand. I won't risk breaking anything by trying to take it apart I guess, even though I really want to. Either way I'm going to reinstall and see how she does.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
How did it work?

Not tested yet, so it's too early to tell. Right, Mike?

Mike's helm work doesn't work for you. He has rack & pinon model with one gear and the cable rack. You have a rotary with three idler gears and one drive gear. A completely different animal with more parts to go bad.

nola mike

Vice Admiral
Actually I have a rotary model as well. I've been preoccupied with stripping a junk hull, so haven't got back to this. Likely this weekend. I'll post an update when I get it back in.

nola mike

Vice Admiral
Just an update, the steering works great. After a carb rebuild and starter replacement, the boats finally running. Still need to clean up some wiring and figure out how to clean out and regrease the tilt tube...