Outboard Johnson Concealed Throttle Control issue '94

Anthony111

Recruit
Hello all. I need help. I have a "94 era Johnson outboard (9.9) with a throttle control issue. The throttle will not leave the neutral position when the red handle is squeezed. I have taken things apart so that i can see both sides of the control box. There is a round "ball" like part that must be depressed for the throttle to leave neutral. From the back, i can push that in and move the throttle. On the front side of the throttle I have taken the throttle arm apart, and removed he neutral button. I understand there is a hidden allen screw that can be accessed when the throttle is in the reverse position.

Issue 1 - The throttle level will not travel far enough into reverse to clear the channel needed to remove the allen screw. What would stop it from moving that far? I tried disconnecting the throttle cables and it still wont go far enough.

Issue 2 - Once i get in there, what should i expect to find? What would stop that ball like part from moving when the handle is squeezed?

My boat shop can't help my until mid May... MID MAY!!!!! Not acceptable. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Konfused

Recruit
I had this issue on mine. I have a 1994 javelin 409 fs with a Johnson venom 225. It happen to me on the water one day camping. I took apart the concealed control and found that there was a plate with 3 notches that were wore out. It allowed the spring to push the ball all the way through the plate, instead of just resting within it. I had to improvise while camping,so I just took a punch and knocked out the spring and ball. Installed it back and just was very mindfull shifting between gears. The red button still locked in neutral, and everything worked fine for a few months actually. It finally did give up on me, and I bought the newer style. Here is more info and where I got mine.

https://www.marineengine.com/parts/...aled+Side+Mount&yid=34064&mid=34070&sid=38799

Last edited:

Anthony111

Recruit
I had a small victory today. I removed BOTH control cables from the engine and the throttle handle moved far enough to get to the set screw and remove the handle. The problem now is that i don't know what I'm looking for.

Why does the "ball" (which can be moved freely with a screwdriver from the back) not retract and allow the throttle to move when i squeeze the red handle?

What is the physical mechanism that connects the red slid to the control box to cause that piece to retract???

Anthony111

Recruit
I'm now operating under the impression that there is NO mechanical connection between the throttle lever and the spring and ball mechanism that holds the throttle in neutral. It looks like squeezing the handle only allows the lever to move, and does not cause the ball holding the throttle in neutral in that position. So, i plan to disassemble that spring and ball part, and replace or shorten the spring. My theory is that age has made the springs too stiff so that i can't push the throttle out of neutral. Can anyone confirm any of my thoughts, assumptions, or plans for resolution?? Thanks for any help you can offer.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
I have never found a spring get harder to compress due to age. Weaker yes, stiffer no.

Your part link doesn't work. How about a picture or two?

Anthony111

Recruit
Good news (I think). I removed the ball, seat, small spring, screw, and reassembled the controls box. The throttle now moves fine (A little more freely once out of neutral). I still need to squeeze the handle to move from neutral, and it moves now! I started the engine, no issue there. Soon i will get the boat outside, start the engine and put it in gear to see if that works. I am very hopeful that my issues is now resolved.