Redoing dash, Steering question.

mikeyk101

Seaman
I want to redo my dash as it has seen better days. I have the old one off and am considering my options. The dash is rather small but I think it has just enough space for what I want. It originally only had the ignition, a navigation light switch, a speedometer in very rough condition and the steering wheel. The emergency cutoff switch was modded and stuffed under the dash. I would like to redo it completely and add new gauges. I plan on installing a new speedometer, tach, volt meter, install the cutoff switch, and reinstall the steering wheel, ignition and navigation light switch. By starting from scratch, I will better be able to cut the holes and get everything positioned the way I want.

My question is on what material can I use so that the steering is properly supported? That is my biggest concern. It is a teleflex steering setup and it seems kind of hefty. The dash right now is almost an inch thick which gives it plenty of support. Would I be able to just use plywood for the start of the new dash and would that provide enough support for the steering? The dash is only mounted by several screws on either side and across the top. I had also seen where clear plexiglass has been used and painted on the back side for a new modern look but I haven't been too successful in the past with cutting or drilling larger holes in plexiglass without it cracking. I also want to have enough support for the emergency cutoff switch in case the tether gets tugged as the connector on the tether fits very snugly onto the switch.

mikeyk101

Seaman
I tried but am getting the message that the file is too large. I will try retaking them at a smaller resolution. I will only be able to take photos of the removed dash as the actual boat is too far away right now.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
did you reduce the size of the drawings per the tutorial in the rules and guidelines forum?

mikeyk101

Seaman
Ok, retook the photos of the old dash. As you can see, it is rather small. The center bracket is the bracket that the steering controls mount to. The second photo shows the thickness of the dash panel. The shadow on left is where the old speedometer was.

Attachments

• photo309362.jpg
    photo309362.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 1
  • photo309363.jpg
    photo309363.jpg
    939.3 KB · Views: 1

mikeyk101

Seaman
And here are some pics from last year that will give you an idea of how it mounts. I guess you would call it a right side console. The frame that it mounts to is thin aluminum I believe.

Attachments

• photo309364.jpg
    photo309364.jpg
    656.2 KB · Views: 0
  • photo309365.jpg
    photo309365.jpg
    625.7 KB · Views: 0

Prophammer

Chief Petty Officer
cool boat , I find my all boat speedometers have been very inaccurate, to me anyway, GPS is much better for speed readings, but now RPM is much needed data, fuel gage and volts are very important , audible warnings for over temp, over speed, oil starvation, are good to have if possible, and they save dash space, to answer your question, maybe you could get some boat perma-panel plywood and use the old dash as a pattern for a bigger one, drill holes router or jigsaw maybe used, and you can insert the gauges, they are available in assorted packages, varnish finished wood, or maybe formica sheeting could be glued onto the perma panel, many modern finishes are out there , But number one concern should be, I'm sure you know, the importance of securely attaching dash to the boat it is is the top requirement, safety should be second to none, let us know how it turns out

mikeyk101

Seaman
Thank you for those ideas. As far as the gauges, I was able to pick up brand new NOS OMC Concept series gauges that are no longer available and all 3 were total cost of about $100. I wanted a speedo just because I've always had one on every vehicle I've ever had and the hose and pitot are already there. The tach and volt meter for obvious reasons like you mentioned to be able to see how the motor is performing. I didnt go with a fuel gauge because the boat only has a red portable 6 gallon tank. It already has a high temp alarm tied into the OEM wiring and tucked under the dash and no VRO system so the oil just gets mixed in with the fuel.

I did pick up a 3-3/8" hole saw which will work for the Speedo and tach. I also checked and for the steering controls, it should be the same size hole. The volt meter will need a 2-3/8" hole I believe and I can just pick one of those up. As long as the new dash isnt too thick, I may be able to get away with a spade drill bit for the ignition and emergency cutoff switch. Same with the navigation light switch, a spade drill bit should work fine with that.

I have worked out all the wiring. I will use the proper gauge and colors. A neat thing with this motor is that there is a 3 pin accessory wiring harness that plugs into a connector by the sash that supplies the tach signal, negative and switched positive. That will make finishing the wiring much easier.

The original dash, like I mentioned was secured to the aluminum console with numerous screws from behind on both sides and top. It was very secure and that's how I want the new dash to be. The aluminum console is very solid and had bent over flange that the screws went through to attach the old dash to it. I now have a good idea on what materials to use and when all screwed down, it should be nice and solid. And I do plan to have the new dash go just a little lower than the old to give me a little more real estate for positioning the gauges.

I appreciate the material ideas. Thanks.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
You could use a computer type drawing program to draw out your proposed dash setup to get an idea of how you like it and if it will fit and work. That is a great place to start. Pre-planning always offers a good idea if you like the final project or think you would like to change something before you make the first cut. Huge time and mistake avoidance tool. ANd if you draw it to scale, that make it even better. JMHO

dezmond

Senior Chief Petty Officer
A clean piece of cardboard works wonders!!! That's what I used after I sketched out what I wanted.. This way you can make as many mistakes as you like and you won't be wasting your good materials. Get a piece thick enough and you could even set it in the dash so you can take a look with the gauges in. Just a thought. Have fun and make sure to post pics as you go :)

mikeyk101

Seaman
Well I made some progress. I ended up refacing the old dash. The season is close and I spent enough time screwing around with the motor that the wife was getting upset about all the time I was spending in the garage that I decided to get the dash figured out as simply as possible so I can get it out on the water. I can always redo it next year over the winter if I decide. The old dash had wood grained fabric covering it that was badly weathered. I pulled that off. The dash itself while not perfect still had a lot of meat to it. I found some 1/4" 2 x 4 sheets of sanded plywood. I grabbed 1 sheet. I picked up a bottle of gorilla glue. And I picked up some Krylon Fusion all in one gloss black spray paint. I used a nice coat of gorilla glue to attach the new plywood to the original dash and let it dry overnight after clamping it. Then I used a rotozip to cut off the excess plywood. I cut the hole for the speedometer and volt meter on left side. That gave me some extra wood to fill in the holes on the right left by ignition switch. I glued in a plug of wood in old ignition hole and let that sit overnight. Then I cut the new holes for the ignition switch and the tachometer. I kept the hole in same place for the steering wheel and used the rotozip to cut through the new face. I then spray painted the face, sides, the back, and inside the holes with the krylon. It came out pretty good except for one spot where the paint ran a little. I'm going to try sanding it lightly and see how it comes out. Otherwise, it is ready for the channel to be reattached all around the edge and the gauges fitted. The wiring is all ready to be attached. I got ahold of some new marine 16 ga wire in the correct colors, some weatherproof heat shrink connectors and a new ratcheting double crimper that works way better than any crimper I have tried before. It has worked the first time on every connector and almost looks like a professional job. Here is a photo of the bare dash. I should have photos of the gauges fitted and new wiring sometime next week...

Attachments

• photo310415.jpg
    photo310415.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 1

mikeyk101

Seaman
Well the spray painted dash didnt work out. Besides, it looked kind of cheesy. After fitting the gauges in, I didnt have enough clearance with the Teleflex steering box. So I found a place that does custom ordered sizes for King Starboard panels and ordered 2. I had them cut the panels to 19.5" x 9". They also did a 1/4" routing edge around the face. This is a much better idea. This is going to work much better and wasnt too hard to work with. It gave me a lot more flexibility instead of hodge podge cutting holes just to get all the gauges fitted. I just have to install the ignition switch, emergency cutoff switch, steering and nav/anchor light switch. All the gauges I wanted are mounted and wiring done. I still have to figure out which way I am going to mount it. I have a couple ideas and am going to get it worked out tomorrow

And I ordered 2 panels as I'm just going to replace the left console as well so both sides match.

Attachments

• photo310887.jpg
    photo310887.jpg
    929.8 KB · Views: 1

mikeyk101

Seaman
Dash is now done and installed. And surprisingly everything works! I still have to do the port side but that will be a breeze as there is nothing mounted to it. The hardest part will be reaching all the screws on the back side...

Attachments

• photo310979.jpg
    photo310979.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 1