Speedometer question

Rourk89

Recruit
Hello all, new member, first post. I recently bought a 1990 Lowe 1620V fish n pro. Recently as in October last year. have used it once last year then put it away for the winter. I am about to bring it out of storage to start doing some work on it that I knew I would have to do and once of those is to get the speedometer working. The previous owner could not tell me if it had a paddle wheel or a pilot tube. Is there a way to figure out what was originally there? Can I put whatever I want on there?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
you can put what ever you want, however most likely its a pitot tube and the tube is broken or the pickup is plugged.

wrench 3

Commander
Welcome aboard.

The pitot tube uses a hose. (or plastic tube) A paddle wheel is electric and will have wiring.
You didn't mention what engine you have but a lot of them have a pitot tube set up built into the drive.

Rourk89

Recruit
Thanks for the info. It is a 40 horse Johnson. There is a white plastic bracket that the guy told me where a paddlewheele or pitot tube would go. I will try and take a picture of it tomorrow to confirm

wrench 3

Commander
The plastic tube or wires would come through the transom above the waterline over top of that plastic bracket.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Look at the back of the speedometer. If you see a couple of wires and one larger, usually black plastic tube you have a pitot speedometer. The wires are for the internal light. If there are more than two wires and no plastic tube you have a paddle wheel (electronic) speedometer and need the paddle wheel.