Trim Tabs - Restoration

76SeaRay

Lieutenant Junior Grade
The boat I am restoring had hydraulic trim tabs (vintage late 70's early 80's). I am not sure if the pump was/is working since I bought this boat at auction. There appeared to be a little bit of leakage at the starboard trim tab cylinder but the pump had oil in it. I can bench test the pump but right now I have the system off the boat in pieces. These were made by Boat Leveler and the hydraulic lines were just run through holes in the transom (no through hull fittings). My question is; should I restore these trim tabs or try to go to electric tabs? The tabs themselves are stainless steel and in fine shape and I have seen electric cylinders that appear to be the same form factor as the hydraulic cylinders. I am replacing the transom so if I don't go with the original hydraulics, I want to fill in the transom holes for the hydraulic lines when I replace the transom wood.

Thanks.....

alldodge

Staff member
I would always go with hydraulic over electric. If they a bennett marine tabs, you can always get parts and help to fix and repair.

76SeaRay

Lieutenant Junior Grade
The Bennett parts look a lot like the Boat Leveler brand. Do you know if they are interchangeable?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
no they would most likely not be interchangeable

knowing the limitations of the Lenco actuators, I would go Bennett every time.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Three strike rule

Exposing an electric motor to moisture is never a good idea if it can be avoided.

Electric trim tab actuators can and do fail from intrusion of moisture. It’s not if, it’s when.

You have no means of retracting a “frozen” electric actuator short of removing it.

Scott Danforth

Staff member
not to mention the two pieces of plastic that make up the lenco actuator are held together by two #10 screws. if any tension force is applied, the screws pull out and now the actuator is full of water.

76SeaRay

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Thanks for the info. I was originally intending to rebuild what I have (if parts are available) and given the comments will go with hydraulic. Now for the thru hull process. The original install had the hydraulic hose running slant wise from inside the boat through the transom and to the hydraulic cylinders. Seems like a good place for water intrusion into the new transom as I would think it would be hard to seal the hose to the transom. Is there a better way like using a metal thru hull fitting and connecting the hoses on both sides of the transom to the metal thru hull fitting? I would think a thru hull fitting would be easier to seal and maintain as well as making it possible to replace the hose if ever needed.

Scott Danforth

Staff member
hundreds of millions of boats have bennett trim tabs without a problem. simply use a good sealant and follow the instructions.