1982 70hp Johnson steering install question

cal1319

Seaman Apprentice
Hey everyone! So I am having a lapse in memory. In the process of redoing a 1982 ski barge with a 1982 70hp Johnson and I am almost at the point of getting the new steering installed. I am probably going to use the SeaStar Safe-T II or their 4.2 rotary system. My issue is when removing the old cable (a few months ago) I vaguely remember there being a tube around the push bar. If there was a tube around the push bar it has been lost and I would need a new one but have no clue what its called or where to get it. Just for clarification, I am not talking about the tilt support tube, that is still there. Maybe Im just not remebering correctly and there is not another tube that goes into the tilt support tube that the pushrod then goes through. However if there is can anyone tell me what its called where to get it?? Thanks everyone!

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Most modern steering systems go through the tilt tube like on your motor.-----Then a steering link comes off the end to fit on the steering arm of the motor.

cal1319

Seaman Apprentice
Most modern steering systems go through the tilt tube like on your motor.-----Then a steering link comes off the end to fit on the steering arm of the motor.

Yes haha. I think I confused myself overthinking it! I forgot that that new steering cable has a push tube. Sorry for the lame question!