Steering console repair

dk172

Recruit
I have a 2002 Alumacraft Lunker 165 LTD CS. The boat is in excellent condition except for a cosmetic issue I’m hoping someone can help me out with. The steering console is made of reinforced fibreglass. It is covered with what looks like a decorative plastic skin for aesthetics. On my boat the structure is solid but it’s the decorative skin that is the problem. Through years of exposure (most likely U.V.) it is cracking in numerous places now. I have it held together with gorilla tape so that pieces don’t start falling off. I’ve tried to source replacement skins from Alumacraft but to no avail. Does anybody have any suggestions that may help? Perhaps my only option is a fibreglass repair shop in my city. That will likely be costly so I wanted to check all other options first.

poconojoe

Lieutenant Commander
I'm probably not the one that could help you on this particular subject, but If you post some photos, it probably would give the experts here a better idea of what you are dealing with.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Post some pictures from different angles for us to see what you are dealing with. We do have some great minds on these forums, but no mind readers. :laugh:

Also, welcome to iboats. We like having new members
:welcome:

dk172

Recruit
Thanks for the replies. Here’s a few pictures that will show you what I’m dealing with.

Attachments

• photo307164.jpg
    photo307164.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 0
  • photo307165.jpg
    photo307165.jpg
    135.4 KB · Views: 0
  • photo307166.jpg
    photo307166.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 0

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
I'm going to follow along, I can't help, but I've seen these kind of cracks before. Hopefully there is a repair for them.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
It looks like vacuum formed plastic

Only two repairs are to either get a new one from alumacraft or recreate it from fiberglass

dk172

Recruit
I appreciate your feedback. Alumacraft was the first place I called and could not help me out. Told me they no longer stock parts for my boat. I like my rig but was very disappointed with their lack of inventory and suggestions considering the boat is only 16 years old. They gave me the name of a repair facility in Minnesota who did these kind of repairs. I may have to go that route then and tear the console apart after this fishing season and send it to them for repair.

If you come up with any other ideas or suggestions please let me know otherwise I appreciate everybody's help.