Adding power steering to my boat re-build

Panoguy

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hi:

I have what's turned-out to be a long term project boat - see my progress in my signature line.

Last fall, even though it's not completed, I splashed my boat - just to see if it wouldn't sink... it didn't, but the change from the 2.5L engine to the 5.7L engine radically changed the ease of steering - it now steers like a tank! (but man-o-man... the boat FLIES!!!)

OK - my question: Much of my engine upgrade came from a pulling a 5.7L V8 from another Sea Ray, including power steering goodies (pump, cooler actuator, hoses), but I didn't pull/take the transom plate... While it looks like the actuator should fit my current plate, I'm wondering if the plate is somehow different, and won't fit? Did mercruiser make different transom plates, specifically to accommodate power steering???

I ask, because I had a real surprise when I tried to fit the exhaust "y" pipe to my current transom plate - it didn't fit & I needed to buy another "Y" pipe, with proper hole pattern. I'm wondering (dreading) if I should expect the same when I try to fit the actuator next spring. I'm really hoping that the answer is "the bolting configuration for steering with the Alpha outdrives are all the same."

Any thoughts or advice?

Bondo

Staff member
Did mercruiser make different transom plates, specifically to accommodate power steering???

Nope,..... They're the same, in that respect,.....

Panoguy

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Nope,..... They're the same, in that respect,.....

Thanks, Bondo - but that "in that respect" caveat scares me a bit... is there more that I should know-about here??

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,.... Ya should be able to pull the aluminum tube from yer transom, 'n slap the P/S actuator in it's place,.....
Did mercruiser make different transom plates, specifically to accommodate power steering???
Nope,....