New steering for an old boat

61mysteryboat

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I'm wondering how feasible it is to put a cable steering system on a 1962 Johnson Super seahorse 75 hp. Right now it has a cable and drum system.

61mysteryboat

Petty Officer 2nd Class
How difficult is it to mount a teleflex steering system to an outboard that had a cable drum system. It will be going on a 1961 super seahorse 75 hp.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Does your engine presently have a cable tilt tube system? If so, there shouldn't be any problems swapping over. If not, you will need to buy an adapter for the tilt tube setup to work. Check Ezy-Glide and see what they offer for some ideas.

61mysteryboat

Petty Officer 2nd Class
My outboard has a solid tilt rod. Any idea if it is possible to change it to a hollow tilt tube? Looking to add a modern steering mechanism

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
my question is why do you want to change? the drum steering has worked for almost 60 years. there is about $30 worth of parts to rebuild the entire system.

61mysteryboat

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have spent two years and countless hours restoring this boat. Gelcoat removal, transom, floor, etc. Just got it back from paint. Looks like glass. It would break my heart to drill holes through the side of the hull to mount the hardware needed to replace the drum cable. Strictly aesthetic.

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
Normally, you would have wood covered in glass mounting pads on the interior for mounting hardware. You should not have to drill through the hall itself.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I have spent two years and countless hours restoring this boat. Gelcoat removal, transom, floor, etc. Just got it back from paint. Looks like glass. It would break my heart to drill holes through the side of the hull to mount the hardware needed to replace the drum cable. Strictly aesthetic.

Here is what you need to do a change over to standard cable steering at the engine side. That is the exact same setup I am using since I don't have a hollow tilt tube either. JMHO

Attachments

• photo304164.jpg
    photo304164.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 0

61mysteryboat

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks for the input. I think I will go with the original drum system. I hadn't thought about glassing in some blocks for mounting. Great idea. Now part two. Any idea where I can find a replacement drum for the steering. My original is chipped. I found a couple online but they were in Australia I would prefer to keep the money in the US if possible. Thanks for any input you may have.

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
I have a drum, actually most all the parts. If the drum fits/and is the same size, only pay for shipping.

61mysteryboat

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thank you so much for the offer. Very kind of you. I just noticed it is aluminum and I have the broken chip. Neighbor is a welder said he could fix it. I initially thought it was cast. I really appreciate the offer but I should be ok. I'll keep you in mind if it doesn't work out. Great community here at iboats