Stick steering Setup

BillLarry

Recruit
Bullie, looks like you don't have the typical tilt tube engine setup for stick steering. So you may have a little more problem with your replacement cable. I have a similar situation with my old Johnson OB as well. I can't find a replacement for my old Morse Control unit cable so I have to replace the entire stick steering controls. They run about ~ $300 dollars delivered, but comes with all new controls and cable and everything you'll nee to replace yours. I am sure that isn't what you wanted to hear, but that is a way to fix such a setup. If you can find a manufacturer name, you could contact them for just the cable portion. Otherwise, a new setup is the answer. I am presently looking at an Ezy Glide Stick II Boat Steering system. JMHO!

I am having trouble figuring out a way to get my stick steer and tilt tube set up on the transom to work with a universal steering cable. Is there an adaptor or another cable that works? The old cable has a ball joint to make the awkward angle work.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Welcome BillLarry

Moved this out of an old thread so you can get some answers.

I guess the first question is: What motor are you trying to connect?

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I am having trouble figuring out a way to get my stick steer and tilt tube set up on the transom to work with a universal steering cable. Is there an adaptor or another cable that works? The old cable has a ball joint to make the awkward angle work.

Yes, there is a type of ball joint that allows you to setup the cable steering. However, if you can still find one, it is equally expensive as a stick steering setup. I sold my old ball setup when I bought the new stick steering replacement. I purchased a setup to use with my engine since I didn't have a tilt tube to use a standard setup. I attached a few pictures to try and show what I had and what I had to buy to replace it. Hope this helps

The first two pictures are how I received this boat. The last picture is the adapter kit I bought with teh Ezy-Glide stick steering replacement. Sounds like you could use that as well.

Attachments

• photo304162.jpg
    photo304162.jpg
    591.4 KB · Views: 0
  • photo304163.jpg
    photo304163.jpg
    715.4 KB · Views: 0
  • photo304164.jpg
    photo304164.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 0