Sea star system developed air in system

dsiekman

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I took the boat out tonight and quickly realized I had no steering above idle speed. There were no stops in either direction. It was fine two weeks ago. No visible leaks. One fitting had a little oil on it but that may have been from the install a couple months ago. The only thing I can think of is that it was 90+ degrees when installed. Now we’re in the low 40’s. Any ideas?

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Pretty common problem. Hear it every fall.

Seals/tolerance/material issues

Biggest reason I haven’t installed hydraulic steering to this point

dsiekman

This is my first season with it. If I refill and bleed can I get another month before I pull it and then rebuild?

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Depends on how it failed.

If its short circuiting internally you’ll have to rebuild. It the fluid leaked out you will need to find and repair the leak.

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
Is this a new or used system? If new, all you have to do is locate the leak, and fix it properly. If it's a used setup, pretty much the same thing. Most any system I've ever serviced just had a small leak. One needed a new helm, one I rebuilt the helm, and one needed a new ram. Dozens of others just needed a fitting tightend or replaced.

dsiekman

Used. We rebuilt the helm before install but did not do the cylinder. Hoses are new.

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
Bleed it again. Could have been a small air bubble. Now that it's cooler out may have affected it. Some have autopilot attached to the same lines, you have to bleed that also.

dsiekman

I went out this morning. The leak is at the helm. The post above just reminded me that I had installed a plug where either autopilot or an accessory of some sort was installed. Wonder if that was it.

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
I went out this morning. The leak is at the helm. The post above just reminded me that I had installed a plug where either autopilot or an accessory of some sort was installed. Wonder if that was it.

I think you found the issue!

dsiekman

I’m not supposed to use Teflon tape or thread sealant, correct?

dsiekman

I’m also reading that pressure fittings are supposed to have tapered threads. I just matched up the thread on the nipple I took out with a brass plug from my local hardware store. I wonder if that is also part of the issue.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Love You would know if you had a tapered vs. straight thread issue.

No no problem using tape on hydraulic connects. Makes a good thread lube in NPT connections

dwco5051

Commander
No no problem using tape on hydraulic connects. Makes a good thread lube in NPT connections

Some companies will not recommend Teflon tape for fittings because if improperly applied pieces can get in the system. It is a lube, not a filler so just a little over one wrap is all that it needed. Start one or two treads from the end of the fitting when you wrap and none will get in the system.