1988 Starcraft w stuck steering cable

ab59

Ensign
I have locked up steering on my 88 starcraft w a 5.7 and cobra sterndrive. My problem is that the pin at the transom end of the cable is frozen and not wanting to come loose. Yesterday I wrapped my hoses up in tin foil and turned a heat gun on the yoke and pin along with a 6" clamp as tight as I could get it hoping it would pop loose, no dice. Then I stepped up to a small hand butane torch and heated it until I got nervous about starting a fire with the clamp tight and no progress. Then I took the clamp off and heated it again and beat on it with a bigger hammer but once again it did not budge. I did these things after soaking it good with PB blaster.
I tried to get a puller on it from the bottom hoping to press it out but there is just not enough room for that set up .
Anyone else had this problem and found a way to make it pop loose ?

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
If heat did not free is then you can:remove the engine and drill it out or attempt to drill it out with the engine in place .
Instead if replacing it with the same pin that will lead to the same condition machine a SS hex bolt leaving a shoulder , reduce the shank to fit the steering hole and drill for a cotter pin or haiclip pin

ab59

Ensign
I hope that pulling the 5.7 back out of the boat is not necessary . I have removed all of the panels from the boat for more access and put the heat to it again. This time she winked a little but no room to really get a swing at it. I went to HF and bought a 12.95 dollar air hammer and got the smallest one they had. I bought some bits and just got finished cutting and grinding a bit to it the hole and I am going to put the air hammer to it and hope for the best. I also have a two foot length of 3/4 inch pipe to give the hammer a solid yoke to drive the pin out against . Just waiting for the day to cool off a little before I get busy .
Do you know if these pins are pressed in ? Would have thought that once the pin broke loose it would come out fairly easily .