Mercury controls on an OMC

Delb607

Recruit
i swapped an 84 OMC 1.6 liter Sea Drive engine on my 1995 Premier pontoon. After doing and entire refurb on the boat, I’m down to the last steps. The steering, throttle, and shifter cables. I fabbed a bracket for the steering, since I did not ise the huge Sea Drive knuckle. Ome to the problem... the boat was previously powered by a 50 Merc. The throttle cable goes the wrong dorection for the OMC. What can I do wothout a new set of controls?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
new controls will be needed for the electrical side of things as well as cable style

direction is changed within the control, move the cable to the other arm

Delb607

Recruit
I dont need the electric side of the controls at all, but I was pretty sure the direction change was in the controls. That sucks. My prop is off, so I’d guess my shifter may be backwards too😞. I’ll start looking for controls for an OMC, Johnson-Evinrude. My cables fit. Thank you.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Although the Mercury shifter cable moves in the same direction as the OMC shift cable, the throw is likely different. The electrical could likely be adapted.

You can buy universal controls, which can be set for either type of motor.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
That is a different approach, but if it works, who can complain.

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
That remote should have the internal mounting for swapping cable to make push or pull. Install a set of Mariner 630 type cables and a Seastar 301729 Cable Adapter Kit and should work without the "homemade" contraption..