MV-2 Control on 1996 Regal Rush xp120 jet boat

RogerASki

Seaman
The shift control cable broke on my 1996 Regal Rush xp120 jet boat! Since the MV-2 control is obsolete I had to replace it with a CH2300P control box. I’m wondering if the new cc21310 control cable will work. I have not received the new CH2300P control yet.
Anyone have any experience? The reason I purchased a new control box is the Interlock Insert was missing half the teeth making it very unsafe to drive. Parts are no longer available for the MV-2 according to the manufacturer Morse - Sea Star Solutions.
Any help is greatly appreciated. I can supply photos but I have to reduce size.
Thanks,
Ski

RogerASki

Seaman
ALLDOGE, thanks for the reply. When I picked up the cable they ordered the Control/shift ccx66310 cable. I thought it was wrong (since I removed a cc21310 cable from the boat to get the size and number) but he said this was the recommended cable. It is actually the 33c. It matches my old one.
Yesterday I tried fishing the new cable thru the hull fitting. No luck so I tried a straightened coat hanger. No luck! I’m afraid I will have to disconnect the Hull fitting and 10” rubber hose from the transom in order to get the cable thru. Do you have any other suggestions? It seems that there is a void space between the outside transom hole and the inside hull fitting so you have to get it perfectly straight in the fitting for the cable or wire to snake thru the hose.
Again, any suggestions are greatly appreciated!
Thanks,
Ski

alldodge

Staff member
without actually seeing what the issues are, I would just be guessing. Like most things with boats, its easy when the boat is being assembled, and a bear for repair. Did you try feeding the cable from the motor up to the helm?

RogerASki

Seaman
Waiting on the control box I ordered. Should be here today. I will open the new control box and compare to my RV2 and take some photos.
With a big storm coming I will probably wait till tomorrow to pull cable and install control box.
I did try feeding the cable from outside the boat near the engine. It seems it has to be in perfect alignment to go through hull connector into the 6” rubber hose with seal cal in the bilge. Keep you posted and thanks!
Ski

RogerASki

Seaman
I did receive the CH2300P control box today. Will start installing tomorrow. Keep you posted!
Ski

RogerASki

Seaman
Yesterday I fished a 3 ft clothes hanger thru the hole and it got stuck. I don’t know what it got hung up on but finally I wiggled it out. I then took a 3ft long 1/4” plastic rod - the kind you push into ground with a reflector along a driveway. It went perfectly thru the other side of the hull. I then taped a string to the end and pushed the string through. I next taped the string to the end of the control cable and pulled it through. This is where I stopped!
Today I will fish the cable to the opening in the bulkhead to attach to the new control box. I may have to adjust the size of the opening and will definitely have to drill 4 holes to attach the control to the bulkhead. Keep you posted!
ski

alldodge

Staff member
Sure is being a bugger, but only the manufacture has it easy on assembly

RogerASki

Seaman
Unfortunately bad news! I was getting ready to fish the control cable from the engine compartment up the bulkhead to the opening for the new control box. Before doing so I thought I would put some Teflon tape on the threads of the thru hull cable connector. Well the connector nut was cracked and it pulled thru into the bilge! Wow! What a disappointment! I thought I was close to being finished. Anyway I must have cracked it somehow! On this 22 year old regal rush xp120 jet boat many things a probably fragile.
I’m trying to figure out how to install a new thru hull connector so that it will be leak free. I will try to post photos but they are probably too high in resolution.
on the bottom of the boat is the ride plate and a screen which protects the impeller. Do these have to be taken off to get to the thru hull connector? I’m trying to find illustrations on the internet but no luck so far. I doubt the manufacturer is still in business!
Again any help is greatly appreciated!
Regards,
Ski

alldodge

Staff member
Don't know about your model but the screen usually comes off easy enough. Many times they to come off to get the impeller unstuck from sucking up a stick

RogerASki

Seaman
I sent a note to the manufacturer to see if they still have plans on the Regal Rush and any guidance they may offer. In the meantime I will start removing the impeller screen, then the ride plate. I’m curious if I will have to drain the drive housing oil. We’ll see! Keep you posted!
Ski
PS and I thought this would be a reasonable fix to replace the control cable and box!!

RogerASki

Seaman
photo297691.jpg

Attachments

• photo297685.jpg
    photo297685.jpg
    551.8 KB · Views: 0
  • photo297686.jpg
    photo297686.jpg
    695.4 KB · Views: 0
  • photo297687.jpg
    photo297687.jpg
    504 KB · Views: 0
  • photo297688.jpg
    photo297688.jpg
    701.8 KB · Views: 0
  • photo297689.jpg
    photo297689.jpg
    637.9 KB · Views: 0
  • photo297690.jpg
    photo297690.jpg
    579.3 KB · Views: 0
  • photo297692.jpg
    photo297692.jpg
    9.4 KB · Views: 0
  • photo297693.jpg
    photo297693.jpg
    343.4 KB · Views: 0
  • photo297694.jpg
    photo297694.jpg
    723.2 KB · Views: 1
  • photo297695.jpg
    photo297695.jpg
    670.3 KB · Views: 0
  • photo297696.jpg
    photo297696.jpg
    224.9 KB · Views: 0
  • photo297697.jpg
    photo297697.jpg
    614.4 KB · Views: 0
  • photo297698.jpg
    photo297698.jpg
    521.6 KB · Views: 0
  • photo297699.jpg
    photo297699.jpg
    650.5 KB · Views: 0
  • photo297701.jpg
    photo297701.jpg
    571.4 KB · Views: 0
  • photo297702.jpg
    photo297702.jpg
    397.9 KB · Views: 0
  • photo297704.jpg
    photo297704.jpg
    516.7 KB · Views: 0
  • photo297705.jpg
    photo297705.jpg
    742.6 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

RogerASki

Seaman
I received an email from the manufacturer. He is forwarding to customer service but suggested bringing boat to an authorized Regal dealer. In the meantime I'm going to try and post some smaller photos and will attempt to start loosening screws on impeller screen and ride plate.

alldodge

Staff member
Does look like your making some headway from the pics.
Dealers always want folks to go to a dealer, they do need to support them

fetch

RogerASki

Seaman
Hi, I just posted a few days ago, under 1996 Regal Rush xp120...., about my control/shift cable breaking. In addition the thru hull connector fitting broke and when I open the control box the plate behind the lever was missing 1/2 it’s teeth. So I purchased an xtreme 33c control cable, a new CH2300P control box and I’m faced with how to get inside the pump area to replace the thru hull connector.
Do I have to remove the engine? Or the impeller screen or the ride plate?
Any help or suggestions are greatly appreciated! I posted photos on my posting!
Thanks,
Ski
PS getting ready to get in the water and try loosening the screws to the plates. I replaced the ride plate 4 years ago but did not take pictures. I definitely will this time.

RogerASki

Seaman
After a few days of spraying PB to all the screws I was only able to loosen 4 on the impeller grate. The screws to the impeller grate (6) are Phillips. I then tried to loosen the Torx screws (10) on the ride plate. I was able to turn all of them but decided to spray again with PB and leave overnight. I’m hoping I will be able to see the thru hull connector fitting inside and be able to reach it. If not I’ll go back to the impeller grate if that will give me access.
if these things don’t work, and if I don’t learn how it is supposed to be done, then I will try to rig a threaded pipe, with large enough inside diameter to allow the cable to pass through, and secure at each end to prevent leaks. We’ll see! Very frustrating at this point, but still hope!
Regards,
Ski

Attachments

• photo297860.png
    photo297860.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 0

RogerASki

Seaman
Sure do! That helped with the other four. The more I think about this I’m wondering if I would be better fabricating a tube to go through and secure at both ends. Then use plastic compression fittings to seal control cable. I did find on the net an illustration and photo that is relevant. I will reduce size and post!

RogerASki

Seaman
Was contacted by Regal Boats customer service yesterday! They suggested that ride plate needs to come off to get to thru hull connector fitting. Will start doing that today and take photos. I want to take it very slow to not break screws. Will probably spray the seal thoroughly with Dawn!! Keep you posted!
Ski