1977 Bee Craft Restoration shifting problem

Schauby

Recruit
Hey All,

My family has had I believe a 1977 Bee Craft tri-haul with a mercuriser i/o believe it is a chevy. Brown and white. Grew up on the boat and my dad has past. My brother and I are wanting to redo it. Not much needed but information. It is in great shape but the controls via throttle are wearing down. Interested in talking with someone who has knowledge of this boat. Please let me know would greatly appreciate it! First would be the neutral engravement on the throttle bar back to the engine. Tough to get into neutral to start. Please let me know if anyone is familiar. I will have picks once I get it out of our shed.

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,...... Which motor,..??

Disconnect the cables at the shift switch at the motor, 'n see whether it's the forward cable to the control, or the lower cable to the drive that's draggin',....

My Guess is, the lower shift cable is boogered up, 'n needs replacin',....

Schauby

Recruit
I believe it is a flat 4 from the looks of it. Mercrusier I/O with a MerControl built into the side board. Once the engine runs the boat operates great. I have a very small window for Neutral. I ran "Crow" Oil down the lines to loosen them up good. The Engine won't start unless it is in neutral. I also see that when I am docking the forward/Reverse is in play. Its hard to run it into neutral. The shift switch though, is a good place to start again. I wonder if I disconnect and run it by had a bit to find neutral. Thanks for the feed back.

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,..... I'm gonna Guess ya got a 3.0l motor, 'n MC-1 drive,.....

I'm also guessin' that somebody unhooked the shift interrupt switch at some point, to mask a bad lower shift cable problem,....

Can ya find any serial numbers,..??
Got any pictures of the motor/drive,..??

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,..... Got it,.... Is the shift switch hooked up,..??

It's on the shift plate, where the forward cable meets the lower shift cable,.....
It should have 1 wire from the coil's (-)negative post, 'n a 2nd that goes to ground,...