Need some help with a new cable

lmuss53

Lieutenant Junior Grade
There should be a bracket on the motor to step that cable away from it some, and allow it to rotate so the hole and bolt is vertical, and the bolt can pivot as the engine swings left and right. I bet there are 2 holes in the front of that engine where the cable is bolted.

Most of the time the cable is mounted more toward the center of the boat and a steering link goes from the cable back to the bracket on the engine. Adding these parts will move your cable to the port side and eliminate the binding caused by the tight bend and missing pivot point. These parts being missing probably account for the excess cable and the "hoop" having to be pushed in to your cable.

lmuss53

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I'm trying to figure out how to resize some photos to upload but I can't get them small enough in my phone. You will need a bracket and a link to get this to work correctly.

Last edited:

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
A steering link won't help in this case. The transom cable clamp is used because the motor doesn't have a tilt tube. Not a missing part, the motor never had a tilt tube.

I do think the the cable connection to the motor could be improved with a ball joint, which would allow the motor to tilt and swivel with less strain on the cable.

lmuss53

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I'm not talking about the tube, but a bracket and link. They are probably in the parts list. I found some images but can't get them posted. I don't think this cable can work without them.

lmuss53

Lieutenant Junior Grade
What is the model number on this motor, every 1970 60 hp Johnson I can find has a cast steering arm?

You can make this work, you just need the right stuff to do it.

GA_Boater

The cable connects directly to the tiller arm or cast steering arm. I don't see how a steering ling would help.

Wish you could post a pic or link.

lmuss53

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Sorry, this is my first attempt at using imgur.

Above, is someone's homemade version of a bracket, and an OMC link for a mid range motor. With both of these pieces, or something similar, he gets the leeway to move everything towards the center and let the steering work like it should. That gets the sharp bend out of the cable, and eliminates the need for a second hole.

I'm still curious about the model number, was this a tiller motor possibly?

If you picture the old cable systems they all pivoted on a bracket right there in the center, a cable system needs that pivot point too.

That photo is just what I'm talking about, the cable can't pivot as the motor turns, bolted in where it is.

Last edited:

GA_Boater

Got a pic of that installed?

The steering link and bracket don't work together. The steering link is for a motor with a tilt tube.

This is a bracket kit with a tube to act as a tilt tube for J/E motors without a tilt tube.

fakett.PNG

lmuss53

Lieutenant Junior Grade
No, I don't, and I don't have anything around any more without a tube. I do have one of the pivoting mounts to attach to the boat and fit a helm and cable to the boat. If it would help him here I'd give it to him.

It may not use a link, but it has to have some sort of bracket, it doesn't go like he has it. I wonder if you moved it to the J/E page if they'd be able to tell him what he needs.

lmuss53

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Ga Boater, your response there in the second post is what makes me think this all has to go toward the middle of the boat, taking the end of the cable past the center of the engine, then using a steering link, coming back to attach the steering to a bracket on the front of the motor, finally reattaching the 3 bolt bracket with the kink out of it and all the slack out of the cable. Doing that fixes all the issues and I think that's the way it's designed to work.

GA_Boater

This is how it connects. Only difference between the pic below and his pic, is the 90[SUP]o [/SUP]rotation of the connector. That's why I said a ball joint would be better.

linked.PNG

Attachments

• steeringlink.PNG
    steeringlink.PNG
    18.1 KB · Views: 0

lmuss53

Lieutenant Junior Grade
The illustration also shows it going thru an arm or tang that is extended out in front of the motor a little, similar to the bracket photo I put up. I think he is going to need something like that too.

thegipper

Petty Officer 1st Class
This is how it connects. Only difference between the pic below and his pic, is the 90[SUP]o [/SUP]rotation of the connector. That's why I said a ball joint would be better.

This is how it has to be setup minus the cable mount has to be mounted the way mine is because of the CMC lift moves the motor back about 5 inches.

The transom mount I have does have a ball joint on it which allows the mount/cable to pivot when tilting the motor.

There never was a tilt tube on my motor nor is one available. Adding a new hole, as suggested in a previous post is about my only option to increase the size of the radius so the cable doesn't have to bend so sharply.

thegipper

Petty Officer 1st Class
I figured I'd give an update to my post.

I got the new steering assembly installed and everything is great. The steering now requires 1/3 the effort that it used to.

I really like the Uflex rotary (anti feedback) system I bought but especially the tilt mechanism, definitely worth the extra 100 bucks. Installation was pretty simple.

The only caveat is that the cable was definitely too long. I ended up just snaking it up by the gunwale to eat up the extra length. Not a huge deal but if I ever needed another cable for this boat, I'd definitely go with a 13 foot cable.

I also added a stainless steel 5 spoke steering wheel with a suicide knob and I love it.

Thanks for the help guys

GA_Boater

Good to know you can steer your boat again. :smile:

Did you add the new hole for a straighter run or use the existing hole?

thegipper

Petty Officer 1st Class
I ended up not drilling a new hole and just snaked it up over the splash well so I could have the largest radius possible. The cable is now more "visible" but I'd rather have that than a cable with a sharp turn. I secured the cable with large metal/rubber cable clamps.

It still looks fine and allows for a large radius turn.

I also added a 5 spoke stainless steel steering wheel with a suicide knob. That really helps with one handed operation.

I'm happy with the results but I wish the cable was a foot shorter. I measured, then measured again......then measured one more time but it's still too long. I guess its better to be too long than too short.

My boat is ready to catch some fish, just need to save up for a new Fish finder.