Disconnecting steering for winter storage

Fr3AkAzOiD

Cadet
I have a 2000 Mercury 15 HP two stroke with remote steering for my little 11ft boat.
It recent got kicked out of the garage due to acquiring another car.
Got an engine stand so I could at least keep the motor indoors.
Its turning out to be more of a pain then I expected.

Got everything else disconnected and labeled but I can't get this steering shaft out.
I know if I undo the large black nuts the tube that holds together the mounting hardware will come apart.

I am thinking I need to get the silver nut to the left of the picture off but I can't figure out how. Grabbing any other nut will still have the hollow shaft spin and I can't grab that crimped metal bit to the left of the silver nut good enough, it just spins.
Any help would be appreciated.

Having problems with posting a pic, gimme a few.

Last edited:

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Sorry, you can't use photobucshet , they won't let you link to other websites anymore.

Bondo

Staff member
I am thinking I need to get the silver nut to the left of the picture off but I can't figure out how. Grabbing any other nut will still have the hollow shaft spin and I can't grab that crimped metal bit to the left of the silver nut good enough, it just spins.

Ayuh,.... Snug up the 2 black nuts to secure the tilt tube, then turn off the silver nut, 'n pull the cable end out,....

lmuss53

Lieutenant Junior Grade
You have to be careful with those black nuts, one or both of them is probably plastic. Sometimes you can wrap the threaded end of the tube with heavy tape or a rag and put a pair of vice grips on that, and get the silver nut off.

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
As mentioned...undo the plastic nuts (sometimes split), undo the silver metal one and undo the steering arm (not pictured) securing bolt and nut. Shouldnjust pull out from the metal nut end...obviously. If it’s been bent or assembled badly or roughly, you may have trouble ahead...lots of cursing, penatrating oil, hammers, long bolts.....then new steering system after cleaning and rubbing down the mess made in the inner tube