Tilt steering wheel removal

StacyW

Cadet
It's a '79 marlin. I bought a new steering wheel but I can't get the original one off. I've never dealt with tilt steering on a boat and to be honest, I didn't know there was such a thing, anyway. I got the center cap off to find a bolt head instead of a nut, it seems to me that it is a long through bolt because on the backside of the steering assembly, there is a lock nut and cotter pin that turns with the bolt head. My question is, is that what's holding the wheel and if so, will the new wheel even work? Sorry if this is a dumb question, I've just never seen a setup like this. I will take pictures or try to give any information needed.

StacyW

Cadet
I'm not sure, I didn't see any sticker or tags of any kind that I could see

jbcurt00

Staff member
Look on the back of the steering hub around the edges, the black center cap or the logo'd insert should come loose to access the nut that is probably holding the hub to the steering shaft. At least 1 center cap I've removed had small screws around the perimeter to hold the 2 halves of the center cap together..... Removed the screws and the front of the cap came off....

How do you know the new wheel will fit the old steering shaft if you havent pulled the wheel off yet?

Or do you need to remove the wheel so you can remove the entire steering assembly and shaft to replace it all?

StacyW

Cadet
Well, I made the mistake of "assuming" that the old steering wheel was mounted the same as any other that I've dealt with but clearly I was wrong so now I'm probably just going to return the new one because the the original assembly doesn't need replaced.

StacyW

Cadet
The center cap removed easily, the problem I ran into was instead of a shaft with the nut on it, it's a bolt that apparently goes all the way through and out the back of the gearbox. Or at least it appears that way right now, I ran out of time yesterday to dig in a little deeper

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
I found this about Ride Guide steering;

For sale is one used Mercury Ride Guide rack and pinion boat steering helm and wheel.

This is the helm for Mercury Ride Guide rack and pinion steering systems. It turns easily and smoothly.

Please note that only square hub steering wheels will fit on it.

The wheel measures approx 15 3/4" and is in good used condition without any rips or cracks. It is missing the center insert.

There isn't any corrosion or damage other than cosmetic (paint flaking/scratched). The Mercury Ride Guide steering system was used with some models from 1985 and older.
Your new wheel most likely is for a tapered shaft and won't fit.

StacyW

Cadet
I appreciate all the info!! I will finish taking it off and see what my options are. Thanks again