Teleflex SL3 neutral button sticking

SpineyNole

Cadet
I have a 2 year old Teleflex SL3 top mount control. The control is in pristine shape and looks like it is right out of the box, no corrosion anywhere. The "throttle only" or "neutral" button sticks in the "in" position when the throttle lever is in the neutral position several times each trip. When this occurs, I cannot shift into gear and must bump the control until the button finally pops out allowing me to shift into gear. On my last trip, the neutral button stuck and would not come out no matter what I attempted. When I eventually got towed back to the dock, I removed the button cover and the white plastic cap. The white plastic part was easily removed and fell out of the mechanism without any resistance, so it is not the source of the button sticking problem. It has been described on boating forums that this problem is caused by a bad or mis-positioned spring behind one of the gears in the control box. I have disassembled the control to the point where the control gears are exposed but still mounted on the backplate. Can anyone tell me how to remove the gears from the backplate so that I can access the neutral button spring? I am very reluctant to purchase another SL3 control to replace this one, especially if it is possible the new one may have the same problem.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Mine has been doing the same thing, since new.
Tried cleaning and lubing it.
Been wiggling the handle for 3 years.
Trim switch sticks often as well.
Gonna just buy something different when I get around to building a new console in next year.

Bondo

Staff member
Welcome Aboard SpineyNole,.....

I deleted yer illegal post in the 10 year old thread,....

Yer question is gettin' answers here in the proper forum anyways,....

Please read, 'n follow our postin' rules, 'n guidelines,....

Thank you,....