Steering nut question

Daveparm

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I'm trying to remove a teleflex steering nut from the pivot tube on an outboard. Instead of the nut unscrewing from the tube, the tube just turns. Do I need to just tighten the lock nuts super tight? I could also put some vice grips on the tube between the mounts, but would hate to distort the tube. The motor is a evinrude 25. Sorry if this has been addressed, but couldn't find anything on a search. BTW, zero signs of corosion and the steering shaft moves freely. In this case some corosion would probably help matters.

Daveparm

Petty Officer 2nd Class
That though had crossed my mind, but I was reluctant to because afraid of heat transfer to tne plastic sheathing & the motor was in my small hatchback and was hoping to avoid it catching fire as my "fake" MAP gas torch isnt pinpoint accurate to say the lesat. The reason for removal in car wad i was hoping to make unloading by myself easier.

I threw caution to the wind, & went ahead and heated it, and it worked great! Thanks for the nudge☺!

Fed

Commander
FWIW Dave there's a set torque & backoff method for the locking nuts on larger OMCs which probably applies if you moved them.
Torque to XX then back off half a turn or something, you may need to find out.