2000 Mercruiser 5.0L Power Steering Leak

krakatoa

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Hi Guys!

Jus want to know If Iam missing something here.

Trace my PS lines right from the pump to the ram and cooler but cant see a leak. I clean the lines where I thought where the leak come from but now still clean. Every morning I check the bilge and always there is ATF fluid, please tyake a look to the pictures and let me know If Im missing something. Its look like leaking from... "bottom of engine"

The engine has been seat for a few days now, need to start the engine and with an extra hand steering and see if see something. I have look hose by hose and cant see where this one come from.

tumblr_oyv1xbnWSr1wg5vyfo2_1280.jpg

this one looks "oily" but is clean on contact...

tumblr_oyv1xbnWSr1wg5vyfo1_1280.jpg

tumblr_oyv1xbnWSr1wg5vyfo3_1280.jpg

tumblr_oyv1xbnWSr1wg5vyfo5_1280.jpg

AT FIRST I thought the leak was coming from this fat inflated hose but this one is from the water pick up. At the beginning saw a drop in the bottom of the clamp, so I cleaned this hose and all around regarding the PS hose. Actually all the area below (the expanded fat hose) feels oily at contact by that time. After cleaned, it still clean and no oil residue. Thats why Im think that Im missing something here.....
tumblr_oyv1xbnWSr1wg5vyfo4_1280.jpg

tumblr_oyv1xbnWSr1wg5vyfo6_1280.jpg

alldodge

Staff member
I would say its in one of these two locations and more then likely its the pump shaft seal. Take a paper towel and place between the pulley and front housing. Place another towel taped lightly to the bottom side of the pump housing

pump2.jpg

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
check your trim tab pump reservoir level

krakatoa

check your trim tab pump reservoir level
Trim reservoir level looks fine since day one, its not red, also the only red 'fluid" here are the ATF Dextron III used on PS Pump. Just check it know and looks like the drops os falling at each side of the drain, take a look to the pic. A mirror will help a lot....

tumblr_oyvap3jiBW1wg5vyfo1_1280.jpg

tumblr_oyvap3jiBW1wg5vyfo2_1280.jpg

tumblr_oyvap3jiBW1wg5vyfo3_1280.jpg

alldodge

Staff member
Trim tabs use trans fluid.

What is above the drain?

krakatoa

Trim tabs use trans fluid.

What is above the drain?

This boat doesnt have trim tabs, needs a mirror to see what is above tne drain, can see casue cant fit my self in, will try on Sunday, maybe the camera will help, but definetely If I can reach that spot will find the source of the leak.

krakatoa

Starting from this line that i read in other post from AllDodge as follows:

If you run it on muffs you will see oil coming out the exhaust if its cracked[/QUOTE And per picture bellow from a book i got with the boat my question is the following: If the cooler pipe is cracked said:
https://78.media.tumblr.com/af5ca5f96379c077368367c28beec4ce/tumblr_oywanu5eSZ1wg5vyfo2_1280.jpg[/IMG]

tumblr_oywanu5eSZ1wg5vyfo1_1280.jpg

Last edited:

alldodge

Staff member
Following the next picture where the pencil is pointing it looks like this exhaust pipe have a gasket, Im right?

Yes there is gasket, but if its leaking there I would also expect to see water

Bondo

Staff member
This boat doesnt have trim tabs, needs a mirror to see what is above tne drain, can see casue cant fit my self in, will try on Sunday, maybe the camera will help, but definetely If I can reach that spot will find the source of the leak.

Ayuh,.... Mirror, camera, 'ell, most cellphones will work, 'specially if ya got a selfie-stick,...;)....
A camera can put yer eyes where yer head won't fit,....

Oil, like water flows downhill, 'n there ain't alota wind inside the motor box,.... don't get blown about,...
When lookin' for a leak, look Above where ya see it, till there ain't anymore oil,...
The leak is just below where the oil ain't,... 'n the leak will be the cleanest oily spot, no dust or dirt,....

If the oil cooler is cracked, ya, it passes the oil out the exhaust,....
If that funky lookin' o-ring fails, yer boat sinks,....

alldodge

Staff member
Merc uses 10W30 in the trim system If there is ATF in the trim, it may have caused the leak

ibrw1

Petty Officer 1st Class
Damn! Amazing information here! THANKS! I?ve been chasing a water leak in my boat for 4 freaking years. I paid a guy to lift my boat and scan entire bottom of boat for a hole. No holes, then I got an brand new outdrive all new hoses, everything. Not because of leak. Outdrive was damaged. Still leaks. Then I got a power steering leak. I replaced the ram. It was covered in oil. Still have a leak. All hoses dry. Pump dry inside and out. Getting new pump. I?ll bet my gasket or O ring and the cooling jacket is the issue!

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,.... The hose connection at the cooler in this picture is wet with oil,.....
wAAACH5BAEKAAAALAAAAAABAAEAAAICRAEAOw==