Bennet Trim Tab cylinder leaking

Status
Not open for further replies.

mr300z87

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Couple weeks a go I pulled my 1990 Sea Ray Sundancer 250 out for the season and while cleaning her up before I cover her for the winter I notice oil around the port side trim tab cylinder see photo
2017-10-21 17.12.33.jpg

It looks to me like it is coming from between the transom and the mount. I my understading in correct there is a 3inch nipple that screws in the mount. So this means 1 of 2 things can fail, either the nipple loose and is leaking or the mount is cracked some where that I can not see. Is there some thing I am missing??

Time and weather have not allowed me to trouble shoot this at all. Has anybody experienced this? Might have time tomorrow to take a closer look. As always any advice is greatly appreciated.

mr300z87

Thanks AD for the the response and the link to your thread as it looks like I will be doing the same thing sometime in the spring. I went into the bilge this morning and found the nipple going through the transom and into the cylinder to be only hand tight. Thought that is weird but how could it be?? So i figured what do I have to loose and I disconnected the line from the pump and tried to tighten it. It seemed to tighten up so after re connecting the line and run it up and down a few times to noticed this drip of oil starting
2017-10-31 12.10.54.jpg
So I am guessing the upper hinge is cracked internally where the nipple threads in. Has anybody ever seen this before? Where did you order the part and how did you unscrew it from the cylinder? It looks to be the same cylinder as yours.

2017-10-31 12.11.06.jpg

I'll be following your thread .

alldodge

Staff member
I just searched for part number A1103 and found the cheapest place, think it was ebay.

I removed the two screws on the bottom connecting the tab. Then snapped the hinge off and it was easy enough to just unscrew. Don't unscrew until you get the pvc clip or it will get messier.

Lets get Tabman here incase there is something else going on

Tabman

iboats.com Partner
Yes, it looks like the upper hinge needs to be replaced like Alldodge's. The threads are likely messed up. All you need is Bennett Part number A1103. And as he mentioned and is in his thread make sure to use the clip.

Tom McGow
Bennett Marine

mr300z87

Thanks for the info tabman. Seems like an easy enough fix. Is a problem you have seen before?

Thanks again AD as always you were a big help.

I'll post back here again when it's all fixed bit that probably won't be until spring. Working on a dash and helm seat referb then she will be all covered up for wintwr.

WhiskeyJim

Recruit
Yes, it looks like the upper hinge needs to be replaced like Alldodge's. The threads are likely messed up. All you need is Bennett Part number A1103. And as he mentioned and is in his thread make sure to use the clip.

Tom McGow
Bennett Marine

I know this post is old, but I'm currently having the same issue. I'm leaking ATV fluid from my trim tab, and for the life of me cannot find leak anywhere. no signs outside, or inside. but it is definitely coming from the trim tab reservoir. I've had to refill it once already, and it has lowered since. I get a little water and fluid in my bilge ??? thoughts or help?

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.