Power steering question.

sogood

Petty Officer 1st Class
I'm in the process of repairing a leak in my power steering. The leak is at the valve assembly, beneath the valve guide. The rubber seal that sits between the guide and the actuator assembly is shot to pieces. There are a number of "O" rings in there as well and I'd like to replace the lot. The old seal wasn't a problem to remove as it was pretty well disintegrated and for the bin, but it looks like fitting the new one will mean removing the valve guide itself, as the seal and the "cage" arrangement that holds it in place is beneath the valve guide.

​So, how do I remove the guide? It sits on a shaft that sits inside the actuator body on a sort of ball and socket arrangement. I've removed the large nut on the guide but the guide itself wont slide off the shaft. Is it simply frozen in place? Or is there a trick that I'm missing? I've left it soaking in penetrating fluid for the moment, but just don't want to break anything. I'll be looking for replacement seals etc. for reassembly, so is there a rebuild kit available and where's the best place to look for one. It's an Alpha one leg FWIW.

Thanks in advance.

sogood

Petty Officer 1st Class
So, after wading through the internet sea of possible fixes, most at crazy prices, I opted for a direct replacement, courtesy of ebay. Various kits seem to be available, but with parts being constantly superseded and updated, with a multitude of variations, I thought a straight swap was the simplest, and by far the cheapest option.
​It also means I have some spare parts for future reference. It will take a while to get to me, so I can get on with all of the other little jobs in the meanwhile.

Glaspar_Fan

Seaman
So, what vendor and part number did you wind up with and what did it cost? I'm looking into a severe leak in my steering system and replacing the whole valve assembly is looking like a good idea.