VP 5.7 GS PWTR Power steering fluid leak issue

ciscokidd

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hey guys,
Looking for some feedback. My power steering fluid reservoir was low, had not checked in a long time. Purchased and added Volvo fluid up to fill cold line. Took boat out, excessive whine when turning counter clockwise. At idle turned steering wheel counter clockwise and wheel shuddered , turned opposite way and the jerking wheel issue stopped.

Returned to marina and while backing into slip got some wheel shudder again i believe when i went counter to steer. Checked reservoir and it was near or pretty much empty and found fluid in bilge. Have had biat now entering 6th year, a 2000 Doral 250SE. I am assuming a hose or fitting has blown, trying to track the line from reservoir under engine. Is it likely the notor is shot and i will need new power steering pump? I checked fleabay and found reman units w warranty for 24 mth, reservoir incl, or should i go original Volvo part.

Looking for feedback from those who are familar and can point out what i should check next.
Thanks
CK

alldodge

Staff member
Could be any part in the system, so need to find out what part is leaking. Clean everything, fill pump, start motor and start turning wheel.

ciscokidd

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Could be any part in the system, so need to find out what part is leaking. Clean everything, fill pump, start motor and start turning wheel.

That is my first step. I agree and am wondering if it could be the power steering cooler leaking fluid into the cooling system. However i am getting what was the remaining atf fluid in bilge, being reddish in colour but the volvo fluid is clear. I need a second person si i can track leak because i cant find it solo and nothing is showing signs.

The wheel shuddering, is that due to fact of it running dry and wonder what odds are pump is shot?

alldodge

Staff member
Pump can burn up if run dry but its a toss up. I wouldn't replace until leak is fix and then see if it still works

ciscokidd

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Pump can burn up if run dry but its a toss up. I wouldn't replace until leak is fix and then see if it still works

I agree, in next couple days will; have a second hand help and can see where it is leaking whether it may be the power steering cooler which is basically a heat exchanger cooled by water or if the pump or a line. Something tells me it will be the heat exchanger similar to when I lost my bus heater core and was leaking coolant into bilge. I hope the ps unit is not toast. How are the reman options vs oem?

alldodge

Staff member
Many of the older cooler hoses use simple hose clamps which hold them in place. Over time the hoses gets brittle and they crack

ciscokidd

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Well today found the leak, power steering cooler and fuel pump both leaking so will order the power steering pump alone with seals and reuse the reservoir, found the power steering cooler at Mr Cool. Also believe I have to do circ pump as well as it seems to be weeping and coolant has been leakin

alldodge

Staff member
Make sure to keep the valve that comes off the pump. The valve is where the line screws into. The valve for the marine pump is higher pressure then the automotive one. Pumps are the same, its just the valve that is different

ciscokidd

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Make sure to keep the valve that comes off the pump. The valve is where the line screws into. The valve for the marine pump is higher pressure then the automotive one. Pumps are the same, its just the valve that is different

Thanks for tip, planned to do that. I ordered a reman ps pump alone, will reuse my reservoir, doubles of o rings included. Just going over the issues of all parts install. Circ pump is a new Sierra tripled checked part numbers for all, lol. Expecting em all this week and hopefully get to PS cooler.

Question, when one removes the water lines in PS cooler, will I need to clamp/bung those off if changing in the water in slip? I am thinking that only some water will escape but not keep coming since hoses are above water line correct?

alldodge

Staff member
The PS cooler should be on top the rear of the motor, and if it is then there will be no issue with flooding the boat

ciscokidd

Petty Officer 2nd Class
The PS cooler should be on top the rear of the motor, and if it is then there will be no issue with flooding the boat

Great, and yes it is at back of engine on top! Looking forward to parts coming in. Appreciate the feedback. Also want to find a manual for my 5.7GS WT. Off to search... got a manual I am all good

Last edited:

ciscokidd

Petty Officer 2nd Class

When i looked at original valve and the one w the new pump they looked identical? Then in my haste i reassembled the pump into original reservoir w new orings and have reinstalled it.

However upon a quick fire up i still had ps fluid leak from the new ps cooler installed, now i am guessing it is one othe hoses connected and tightened by breeze clamp. I am debating whether i should pull pump and put the original valve as u mentioned.

My Mr Cool part # is 3851921, i was wondering if there was specific orientatio when installin it as it has a small drain plug which i have pointing starboard, i cant see the orientation having to be specific.

Started it up but still was losing ps fluid at cooler, assuming it is the plastic clamp, i need to try replacing w a breeze clamp

Last edited:

alldodge

Staff member
The valve has nothing to do with the return line. The return line should be next to no pressure in it in the line. Now if the line that comes off the high pressure valve side into the cooler then this is not correct, way to much pressure. It should be connected as such

PS.jpg

If the valve that came with the new pump is not as high a pressure as the original, you will not notice any difference until its in the water and your driving. Without the higher pressure the steering will work, it will just take more mussel to turn at speed

ciscokidd

Petty Officer 2nd Class
The 3/8 line that comes off the power steering pump which does not have the threaded fitting is the one leaking at the barb on the ps cooler. I cut about 1 inch of it off thinking there may have been a pin hole. However after firing it up again coolant is leaking from the threaded portion of the barb coming from the ps cooler. I think i will need to remove the barb and reapply thread tape, reinsert it and tighten it down and reconnect the line, but if i understand you correctly that line should not be under pressure at all, i have not even turned the wheel yet while running because it is clearly leaking, could this be an air lock?

alldodge

Staff member
could this be an air lock?

Don't think so, PS fluid is real thin and takes very little to leak. While there is little pressure, there is some volume with the constant circulation

Might need to replace the line, sometimes they just rot out from the inside

ciscokidd

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Don't think so, PS fluid is real thin and takes very little to leak. While there is little pressure, there is some volume with the constant circulation

Might need to replace the line, sometimes they just rot out from the inside

Yes i was hoping by removing the 1" portuin at the barb i may have escaped the leaking portion. However the barb has movement so i am wondering if it could be weeping from the threads. Will see if i can solve by removing it first retaping and trying once more. Like u said it is so hard to track as it is such thin fluid. I assume i could replace that w 3/8 marine hose for hydraulic fluids and just reroute myself rather than buying the exact part number if even available. Enough for today, getting cooler, sun down, head home and try again tomorrow, lol. Do you think the barb could leakbeing a new unit? Guess anything is possible and thanks for your feedback, it is appreciated

Even turning wheel w no power causes seepage, i need a second person to assist to see exactly if hose or barb

ciscokidd

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Solved this the new Mr Cool power steering cooler unit I received itself had a crack at barb which I found after install, I don't believe I caused it but anyways I took to a shop had the outlet on each end permanently welded on in orientation I required. Tested and goo to go, installed and no issues everything working perfect and using the recommeneded Volvo PS fluid