Need some advice deciding on a steering system for 1984 Glastron/Carlson Conroy Z16

flyersfan72

Recruit
I am working on resorting a boat which I think is what I have listed above but I'm not 100% sure. I can't find a hull plate and I have yet to officially transfer the title from the guy I purchased it from but that's what he tells me. I have a 1984 Johnson 70hp outboard.

I'm currently working on the steering cable. The old one was frozen and I had to cut it and work like crazy to remove it and never thought to keep the pieces to figure out what new cable length I need - not the first mistake on this project and surely won't be the last. It's a rack and pinion setup so at a minimum I'm looking for a replacement however I've been reading about no-feedback rotary systems so I wanted to see what some of you guys might recommend. If I was to convert to R&P, can I keep the wheel I have?

I've read a bunch of posts related to the general rotary vs rack discussion and it seems there are pros and cons to each and in some cases it boils down to personal preference. I'm looking for any advice someone might have given my particular boat/wheel.

Thanks in advance.