use a 12v linear actuator to steer my kicker motor Mercury 8hp?

ib18

Chief Petty Officer
Bought a kicker motor mercury 2011 8hp 4 cycles. It will be mounted on a kicker motor bracket so I need a remote control to steer this motor. Does anybody have done this?
how many pounds and hong long do I need?

I am thinking about buying a $70 wireless ($40 for wired) control 6" linear actuator with 330 pounds push from ebay to use this steering for trolling in the bay for stripe bass fishing - just not sure whether I need more power? 700 pounds for example.

ib18

Chief Petty Officer
ok I found some 1000 pound linear actuator for only $70 on ebay

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Hook up a fish scale to the tiller close to the motor and see how much force is needed to turn the motor. 300# is probably too much and a 1000 lb'er is for sure.

How are you going to control the stroke of the actuator?

Fed

Commander
I don't think they would be very waterproof at that price, do they quote an IP rating?

ib18

Chief Petty Officer
No Title

I don't think it is waterproof. I think I will do a DIY version of the EZ-steer. something similar to this guy have. Mine is 2 outboards so much easier than his in/out board with kicker - http://forums.iboats.com/forum/engi...d-inboards/639625-alpha-1-ez-steer-connection

Looks pretty straight forward - a few screws, hose clamps, quick disconnect ball joints.

I will do a wired throttle control using Arduino uno 3 and some steel cable and servo motor to control the throttle link arm of some sort mimicking ControlKing and Trollmaster They are just like the EZ-steer $200+ each system.

Man, adding a kicker is super expensive.

Attachments

• photo278409.png
    photo278409.png
    498.9 KB · Views: 5