Steering, Throttle, Shift, Trim Recommendations

76SeaRay

Lieutenant Junior Grade
This is a 76 Sea Ray 22 foot that has OMC all over it. That is coming out to be replaced by Mercruiser. I haven't yet decided between 5.7L Alpha 1 Gen 2, 5.7L Bravo 3, or 7.4L Bravo 3. Don't know if the various control cables are different between these options or not. I like the style of the binnacle mount. Using the sticky above, the measurement for cable length is 15.6 feet.

Does anyone have Mercruiser control recommendations for this restoration and change of engine and sterndrive? I see a lot of EBay ads for steering cables etc. but no clear description of the Mercruiser applications by part number. So, if you know Mercruiser part numbers to recommend, that would be helpful.

Thanks.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
A 76 OMC would be a stringer drive. Major work on the transom needed to make this conversion. A 22ft boat is where the Bravo 3 starts show its stuff. As for engine, get the 7.4. it will be a little thirstier at non planning speeds but once on plane it will as good as the 5.7 and at the 5.7 WOT speed, the 7.4 should be getting better economy.

76SeaRay

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Thanks. Yup, lots of work on the transom. The 351 engine and OMC drive are out of the boat and gone not to come back. Now for the transom, stringer and floor work. Looking for suggestions on the control and steering system as I re-design and re-build the interior and helm. Not sure what to look for in the used market for the parts and how those relate to the 5.7L or 7.4L.

Bondo

Staff member
Looking for suggestions on the control and steering system as I re-design and re-build the interior and helm. Not sure what to look for in the used market for the parts and how those relate to the 5.7L or 7.4L.

Ayuh,.... Same answer as to yer question in the Merc forum,....

Buy a runnin' rotten boat with the motor, 'n drive ya want, 'n scrap the rotten hull,....

Ya get ALL the expensive pieces that work with each other,....

At worst, ya replace the cables because of length,....

76SeaRay

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I wish it were that easy... But, since nothing seems to be available, I will do more research on compatible assemblies. Was hoping someone on here might know more about the various Mercruiser controls, wire harnesses, and cables either by description or by part number...

Thanks...