Frozen Steering Alpha One

Hello everybody, I am new to the forum, new to boating, and new to boat ownership so please bear with me.

I recently picked up an 83 Sun Runnner Bowrider with a Mercruiser 120 engine and an Alpha One outdrive.

The steering wheel would not move either direction and I could not move the outdrive either direction at all so I disconnected the steering cable from the helm under the steering wheel and I am attempting to disconnect the steering cable from the rear but I am running into issues. I cannot get the rod on the end of the steering cable to budge more than 8 inches out of the threaded cylinder/brass cube and I cannot get the pin out of the end of the rod which connects to the arm coming out of the outdrive. I can't post pictures yet but I will as soon as I am able.

Is it frozen in there or am I missing something? At this point should I be able to wiggle the outdrive without resistance?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Most likely cable is frozen in sheath

Also does anybody have any suggestions for getting the pin that connects the steering arm and the steering cable to come out?

I've sprayed liberal amounts of pb blaster and tried to heat it up and smack it with a hammer but still no luck getting it to budge.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
How can I go about un-freezing it from the sheath?

you unbolt the helm, pull out the entire steering cable....spend the $200 and replace it.

you may need to replace your shift cables too (they usually dont last as long as the steering cable.)

however before you do anything you need to verify its the cable. you may need to remove the drive and the motor to give you enough room to work.

Bondo

Staff member
Also does anybody have any suggestions for getting the pin that connects the steering arm and the steering cable to come out?

Ayuh,..... Welcome Aboard,.... Get the pin Hot, 'n quench it with water,...

That'll break the rust/ corrosion bond holdin' it in,...

Well I finally got that pin to drive out and smacked the cable through that threaded pipe last night! Had to heat it up and quench it about 5 times before it finally let go it was a stubborn little sucker!

I was able to breathe a sigh of relief when I got that pin out and I could swing the outdrive back and forth no problem.

Thanks for your help guys!