1977 Thunderbolt 500 throttle cable slipping off, have questions

hotrod53

Chief Petty Officer
Last year I replaced my throttle and shift cable, since that time my throttle cable slipped off twice while on the water! The pin that has the roll pin in it that goes through the adjusting cable is where it comes off. Am I missing a keeper or something? I never had this problem before the cable swap.

Attachments

• photo268713.jpg
    photo268713.jpg
    114.7 KB · Views: 1

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
The cross pin isn't seated. Push down on the X until the crosspin pops into the detent in the barrel. You may need to lightly pry the arm you push down on if the spring holding the pin in the detent is weak.
xando.PNG

The shift cable isn't seated either. That may be the reason the throttle cable isn't because the shift retainer arm is too high. The top arm rests on the lower arm.

hotrod53

Chief Petty Officer
I finally got around to checking this, there are no detent slots for the roll pin to fit in the barrel unless it is inside of the hollow barrel which I have not yet checked. I disconnected the cable and looked at both sides, there is a slot to get the pin through then everything is smooth. The leaver if left up will align with the slot and pop out as it has. If folder down, the pin turns 90 degrees then the lever itself, although pretty sloppy, locks in place. I see no other option than to flop the lever down and hope for the best. I stroked the throttle 0-100% and the pin stayed where it should, I can see no other way for this to happen unless the lever is becoming dislodged from its latching point and allowing the lock arm to stand up. BTW, these are SeaStar cables and this started ad soon as they were installed. Since the levers have a detent of their own, if the barrel had a detent, the lever would not be able to move the lever up and down.

The top lever is laying on the bottom lever, I see no other way they can mesh other than be on top of each other.

hotrod53

Chief Petty Officer
UPDATE: I took a wire tie and put it around the levers to keep them for being able to stand up and it hasn't done it since. All I can figure is that they are working their way up and releasing the cable.