What control cables do I need? Evinrude

sbalgach

Recruit
Ok, Im converting a 1996 Evinrude 25hp tiller to remote controls/steering. Let me start by saying im doing this on a budget, yes Id love to get everything brand new, but the bank account doesnt allow that so I do my best. I found a Johnson Shipmaster control box in good shape for somewhat cheap. and this is a somewhat older control box. Now the question....

Do I need the control cables that are pre-1979 (like a SeaStar 400 type)

or

Do I need the newer post 1979 cables (like a SeaStar 479)

????????

PLEASE HELP!!

Last edited:

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
your going to need a control for the 1996 and newer motor for your 1996 motor

something like the johnson 5006186

budgets and boating dont really go together

sbalgach

Recruit
yeah thanks for the input, except you answered about the control box. Fortunately, I found the correct control box for my year and motor. what i need to know is about the cables that go into said control box.

and boating and a budget might not go together for you, but its worked out perfect for me. $200 for boat and trailer, $500 for a 25hp motor, a whole lot of elbow grease, time, paint, and fiberglass and I have myself a very nice set up, but again. thanks for your opinion.

Wvudave

Cadet
I just bought a boat trailer and 25 hp mercury for 500 but it's a project boat and I'm a noob. It has the cables but they need replaced so I'm curious what you find out

sbalgach

Recruit
There is actually a thread on here I found, that goes through the different control boxes for Johnson/Evinrude, and what cables you need for what. Basically it boils down to this for evinrude, as thats what I have...The control boxes are basically the same pre-1979, and post 1979 except for the plastic piece that holds the end of the cable. for mine, they make new cables for both pre and post 1979 - and you can use either set of cables with a post 1979 motor. But, what you need are a piece that connects to the motor end of the cable, its a guide casing, that ultimately connects to the throttle on one side, and shift on the other. If you cant find those, youre kind of screwed. but if you can find those, you can go either way really.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
sbalgach, if you are going to use the 1976 remote control box for your setup (either Johnson or Evinrude, doesn't matter), then you need the 400 series cables for the control box end. But I don't know what your engine side takes so I can't comment on those parts. However, you will have to find those parts that attach to the 400 series cable if that is the route you go.

I am using the 1976 Johnson Ship Master remote control box that I rebuilt for my 1976 40 HP Johnson OB..

Remote - 7M.jpg