Looking for replacement lens for RPM gauge - 2001 Bayliner Capri LX

Homerr

Commander
2001 Bayliner 215 LX

Cleaning the boat today.... noticed it somehow acquired a rather large crack on the RPM gauge lens. Fortunately it's not across the face - more to one side.
Any idea where I might get a replacement lens? The gauges are made by VDO.
I haven't taken the cluster apart, so I don't know if it's a one-piece lens cover or if they are all separate. Heck, maybe the lenses aren't even removable - I don't know. I don't want to dig into it until I know for sure.

The original Bayliner cluster part # is:1709069.
If replacement lenses are available, I'd be ecstatic if I could be pointed in the right direction!

Thanks,

cluster.jpg

Last edited:

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,.... I've never seen a gauge with a replaceable lens,...

Homerr

Commander
Ayuh,.... I've never seen a gauge with a replaceable lens,...

Yea, that's what I'm afraid of it being non-replaceable. Or at least not easily.
The first thing I did was contact VDO, but I haven't received a response yet. They will probably take a few days.

Thanks for the replies...

H.

tpenfield

Staff member
VDO made instrument 'clusters' for several boat companies, including Four Winns and obviously Bayliner. They were not easily repairable, so it is tough to say if they used some of their discrete components or something all together different.

If you can figure our what actual model series the gauge is and the diameter of the face, then you can have a better chance of finding a new lens.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Instrument lenses are typically held in place by the chrome bezel that is "rolled" onto the lens and the lens flange on the instrument. You will likely destroy the bezel trying to remove it, and you would also likely crack or break the new lens trying to re-install the already damaged bezel. All of this is moot however, since you will not likely find a replacement lens. A replacement instrument is really much less trouble and really not a major expense all things considered.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Food for thought. If they are individual lens/gauges, then buy a replacement gauge and you're good to go. If the lens are one piece across the entire setup and the lens are basically flat, then you can take the assembly apart and cut out the broken section and replace it with a thin piece of Lexan or something in that line and reassembly again. It won't be easy. But it can be done... JMHO!