Had some problems this weekend :(

I think I know what to check just wanted get some input. The fuel pump will not run when the engine is running. If you run a jumper wire from the alternator to the battery the pump runs. With the engine running the trigger wire from the alternator should hot. Next I need to check a relay and diode. Which brings to me to my question. Can I check the diode at the ends of the wire not directly at diode? It's hard to get to. Any thoughts or input would much appreciated!!! I have attached the wiring diagram.
1997 Volvo Penta
4.3 GS

Attachments

• Boat 1.pdf
    374.9 KB · Views: 1

gm280

Supreme Mariner
tommy, if you can isolate the diode, then yes you can check the diode at any place on the connected wires. If you leave the wires connected in the ignition circuit though, chances are you won't get a proper reading and that can indicate a bad diode that really isn't. Hope that makes some sense... In other word at least lift one wire apart from the circuit when you test it to isolate it out of the ignition circuit for verification. You should read in one direction and not the other for a proper diode effect. As for the fuel pump not operating, you do have something not working because it has to work with the engine running or it won;'t run for long... JMHO!