Odd sound.. two bilges? ... or other part making the sound?

pantaloonz

Petty Officer 1st Class
Good day all,

First post in this section. OK this one is weird. I was working on some electrical issues I've been having, random lose of gauges, trim sender problems, and last time a complete loss of all electrical at the helm.

1992 OMC 5.0L Cobra - Four Winns Horizon 190

So I dug in and found the 50AMP circuit breaker going to all the main harness was toast. (No voltage to any components past it) The other 50AMP circuit breaker going to the Trim/tilt seems fine.

During this process I found the bilge and fuel gauge lines were coming apart so I fixed those.

The previous owner 2yrs ago, 1 yr prior to my purchase installed a new bilge pump and float switch. Here's where things get weird.

I can trace and see where the bilge pump and float switch get power and ground, and the bilge pump and float switch are connected directly to the battery, and I assume at one point was wired back to the helm.. (or maybe not)

But here's the interesting thing, there is another set of brown leads right in this area, if I engage those wires, I "hear" another component that sounds very similar to the bilge pump; (just with less power, not quite as loud). When I manually engage the float switch I hear a very similar noise just LOUDER and know this is the newer bilge pump.

I'm really confused here..any idea what type of component would sound like a very quiet bilge pump, activates without the key turned to on, but isnt' required for normal operation (as the leads were disconnected) Could they have left the old bilge pump in place some how? Is sounds EXACTLY like the sound of an electric fuel pump getting primed, though this engine does NOT have an electric fuel pump and the noise is continuous until I remove power.

Thoughts?

-Pantz