I'm the new guy. :-)

iDa-HaWaiiaN

Recruit
Aloha Everyone,
I am brand new to fishing and boating. I grew up diving and laying net and only recently started fishing (mid May-2015) and even more recently i bought a used boat with a 48 Johnson. I did a lot of research in terms of buying the motor. I'm really ready to dive all in in this new found sport of fishing and I was curious, keep in mind please that I am literally brand new and have only fished 5 times with night crawlers, as to how simple/complicated it would be to mount a garmin 501c fish finder. Do i need an additional battery? I've done some homework in terms finding the fish before you even cast a line and I've found that a depth/fish finder might be a huge advantage to have if I can kind of do some research and understand the lake floor and where the fish will likely be hanging out. sorry for the long post, Mahalo (thanks

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Welcome to iboats.

Mounting a fish finder is easy. Find a place to mount it, stick it on, run the provided wiring for power and route the transducer cable to the stern, find a place to mount it. stick it on. Plug the wiring into the FF and go fishing. If you're buying new, the unit usually comes with good instructions.

A second battery for the Garmin - You probably won't need that. Power it from the motor battery. There might be some issues with the FF powering off when starting the motor - But I don't find that a big problem myself.

Go land some big ones! :D

UncleWillie

Captain
Aloha Everyone,... I've done some homework in terms finding the fish before you even cast a line and I've found that a depth/fish finder might be a huge advantage to have if I can kind of do some research and understand the Lake Floor and where the fish will likely be hanging out... Mahalo (thanks

I am going to make a guess that you are in Hawaii.
Out of curiousity, Where are the Fishing Lakes in Hawaii?
I can't recall seeing any lakes big enough to put a canoe on!

iDa-HaWaiiaN

Recruit
I'm from Hawai'i. I live in Southern Idaho. Got stationed in Idaho in 2003 and had a few kids. Idaho is home.