GPS\ fishfinder

I am looking to replace my current hummingbird gps fish finder. the transducer is all *** with my current one and I would like a color screen. I would like to keep it around 500$. any insight as to go with Lowrance, hummingbird, Garmin.

Last edited by a moderator:

Lawnpro979

Petty Officer 1st Class
doing the same... I went to the bass pro shop at the mall. they had many on display I could play with them to see the one I like best.... Havent decited yet. But it was a good way to try b4 buy

I went to bass pro and cabellas. The guys at bass pro were really helpful. They showed me the hummingbird and Lowrance. Each one had pros and cons. The hummingbird had a crispy s reenactment and side scan sonar, the Lowrance has a better screen in direct sunlight, but you need a second transducer for side scan. The Lowrance included the Inland lake chip, and just from talking to the guys I think I am gonna go with the Lowrance. You can reset it and it has a lifetime of updates.

beckoning

Petty Officer 2nd Class
If I were Lawnpro and Trainwreck, I'd do whatever I could to understand better how Humminbird and Lowrance customer support operates. How good are they honoring warranties, setup issues after the first few weeks, diagnosis post-warranty, etc. My understanding is Humminbird excels at all these. In my personal experience, Garmin's customer support is superb, and Humminbird is right behind.

Thank you for the advice. This is a pretty major purchase for me. I just want to be sure I get the best bang for my buck.

Lawnpro979

Petty Officer 1st Class
never had to deal with CS on any issues with GPS or fish finders. Not really a major Purchase for me. If and when I purchase. If it's defective I'll return it. If it goes south in a few years. I'll Purchase a new one. I dont keep boats Over 5 yrs... It's Just NOT that Much of a Biggie to me. With this being said. I do Like Lowarnce. there products seem to fit my needs and look better. I expect when making a purchase. Major or minor. the Product will be in good working order. And I dont expect to be hanging on a phone talking to there CS...... If they cant make a product that works. I'll Go elsewhere.

"Best bang for the buck" is meaningless w/o criteria. Outside of your price point, what's your performance criteria?

fishing on lake erie (the shallow end) with a avrage water depth of 20' and tons of underwater islands and sand bars I am looking for something that has a decent chart plotter with detailed maps (I will be purchasing a map package chip also) ease of use as well I am just a dumb roughneck. me and technology dont exactly get along.

72GT160

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Maybe someone can chime in here as I am looking for the same thing. There is so much out there, it's difficult to wade through what to choose.

I went to Cabelas as well. Looked a Lowrance, Garmin and Hummingbird. Liked the Garmin best. Screen quality looked best. Has lower 48 maps already installed which is big for me. Has some other cool features. But, then I look at reviews on Amazon and one guys says it doesn't work in 10' or less water, well what the hell?

So, yeah if anyone can speak more on their experiences I'd be interested.

lmuss53

Lieutenant Junior Grade
http://www.humminbird.com/Products/HELIX-5-SI-GPS/

http://www.lowrance.com/en-US/Produc...IRP-en-us.aspx

I have the Lowrance Elite 7 HDI on my boat now, I am about to go with the Helix 5 si for the side imaging. I fish for Stripers mostly and I want to get the side imaging to help with finding bait. The Elite 7 will stay as a second unit back on the trolling bar.

I have not found the DI feature on the Lowrance to be very useful for my fishing needs, but I love the color screen, the GPS and background map on the Elite 7. I have no experience with SI features on Lowrance units, they may be perfectly acceptable. I have always been a Lowrance guy from all the way back to the old X85 days. The Elite 7 sonar is crisp. clear and accurate as all my Lowrance units have been.

I have a friend with a Humminbird 9** something model, with SI and he has convinced me to go to the H'bird. I have an iPiliot trolling motor and may try to save up to get the H'bird that allows me to use the iPilot Link features, that bumps the price up to the $1000 range.

Last edited: