Tach spinning in reverse (and no.....im not going backwards) ha

SeaEsta-12

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Had something weird happen to me the last time I was in my boat.
I started it up, and when I gave it gas, the tach started reading and spinning the needle in reverse. What is odd, is that it doesn't spin fast, or out of control, just normally in the wrong direction. has this ever happened to anyone before?
Its a Faria gauge.

Bayou Dave

Lieutenant Commander
Welll... since you are not in reverse the gauge must be upside down! lol :D

alldodge

Staff member
Had something weird happen to me the last time I was in my boat.
I started it up, and when I gave it gas, the tach started reading and spinning the needle in reverse. What is odd, is that it doesn't spin fast, or out of control, just normally in the wrong direction. has this ever happened to anyone before?
Its a Faria gauge.

Have not heard of it, what motor is it connected to?

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Engine tachometers are merely frequency to voltage convertors. And what happens if the applied frequency coming from the engine gets rectified and then applied to a normal voltage type meter calibrated to read in RPMs. And the change in frequency changes the voltage applied to the meter. So if the rectifier is gone bad inside the meter is about the only way I can thing your meter reading backwards... But I'll keep watch to see what is the answer to this...

UncleWillie

Captain
What model gage are we looking at?
Tach Needles do not normally "Spin" in either direction. ???
Ar you referring to the little wheel that indicates the hour meter is running, and the hours are now counting Down?

SeaEsta-12

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hey guys!
Well, not sure what the heck happened, but I took it out last weekend, and it worked perfectly!
I think it may have been the voltage going to the gauge.
When I discovered the problem, I was only on one battery, when I took it out last weekend, I switched to two battery's, and it worked perfectly.
weird weird weird........