Battery setup advice

Steve613

Recruit
Just looking for some advice on a battery setup. I currently have a 23' Campion with dual batteries. I don't have many accessories other than a standard 4 speaker stereo, some cabin lights, etc. Unfortunately it doesn't have shore power. I will be replacing the batteries this year and wondering which route to go?
1. 1 starting battery + 1 deep cycle battery
2. 2 deep cycle batteries
3. Installing a shore power system
4. Installing on-board battery charger
My goal is to be able to use my boat without having to worry "Have I used all the juice in my batteries?" A typical day would be 6+ hours of floating/music/partying, as well as in the evening using the cabin lights.
Thanks! I look forward to the input.

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,..... Welcome Aboard,.... Inboard, or I/O power,..?? How much run time, vs: motor off time in yer usage times,..??

Do ya have a battery switch, like 1, 2, both,..??
Boat stays at the a dock,..??

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
You apparently have access to power at the dock or you would not have asked about adding "shore power" so here's my opinion (and we all know that opinions are like #$tts, everybody has one.

1) one marine starting battery and one deep cycle
2) One dual battery switch or ACR
3) One dual output on-board charger with about 6 amps/output.

Inexpensive, reliable, simple, and effective.

Steve613

Recruit
Thanks Silvertip. That was the route I was sorta leaning towards, but with 2 deep cycle batteries.

Bondo, I am running a 5.7L inboard with Bravo 1 drive. On a typical day I may only have 1-2 hours run time, and the rest just floating or beached. I do have a battery selection switch with off, 1, 2, both. Boat is always pulled out of the water at end of trip.