Live well runs constantly

Dontay54

Recruit
I pulled the boat out of the garage this print and the live well pump started running constantly. The switch seems to work but the pump will run at less than full speed with the switch even connected. So is the pump or the wiring. The wiring seems to be ok but you know how fun those are to see anyway...

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
The pump can't run unless it has power applied. It is either the switch or there is a cross-feed from another circuit.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
:welcome: aboard Dontay54. Great having you join us...

Are you saying that even with the switch turned off the pump still runs? If so, you have a bad switch and it needs replaced. If on the other hand the switch does control the pump but the pump isn't running at full speed when the switch is turned on. Then you either have a battery that needs charged or a pump that is going out, OR something caught up in the pump and the impellor needs cleaned out. JMHO!

Dontay54

Recruit
It runs without the switch attached! What I just thought of but have not yet done, was check the main boat switch. It looks like the power for all that stuff comes from the main power line. Interesting problem. I'm thinking if nothing else I can just put a second on/off switch in but it would be better to fix it right.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
It sounds like the auto bilge function is shorted on keeping the pump running. If that auto function is attacked to the pump, you may need to buy a new one and replace yours.

bonz_d

Vice Admiral
The pump can't run unless it has power applied. It is either the switch or there is a cross-feed from another circuit.

Pick this one! Only thing it can be.

If it's picking up voltage with the switch disconnected then it is still getting power from somewhere.

Last edited: