Motorguide W55 Wireless trolling motor gets hot and stops working

bfensom

Seaman Apprentice
Hey just seeing if I can get some help on my trolling motor? Its a Motorguide W55 Wireless trolling motor and after using it for about 15 mins it shuts down and the top unit and cord are very hot. It will run again once its cooled down, but then repeats getting hot and shuts down. Its a brand new battery that I have it hooked up too so what could be the problem?

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
It is drawing way too much current and the circuit breaker is opening. Each time the breaker trips it is de-rating itself so it trips on even less current the next time, repeating the process until is then worthless.
1) Remove the prop and check for fish line wrapped around the shaft.
2) with the prop installed, manually turn the motor to check for signs of tight bearings. The prop with have a slight jerkiness but that's normal. The prop however, should be hard to turn. If so, it needs to be opened up for bearing or other internal repairs.
3) If the motor appears ok, check the connections at the battery, at the breaker, and at the connector where the troller plugs in as well as the wires in the plug and receptacle. Corrosion at any of those points raises resistance and resistance is heat..

bfensom

Seaman Apprentice
Thanks silver I took the prop off and behind it the cavity was packed with mud and weeds... Hopefully that will fix the problem as I don't feel like shelling out $1000+ on a new one right now.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
bfensom, make sure that the rear seal isn't cut into with such mud, weeds and possible fish line wrapped around it. That is what happens to a lot of them. Fish line will easily cut into a seal. So just make sure all is good... :thumb: